Beans are the perfect base for a vegan take on the classic meatloaf. They provide all the protein, umami flavor, and dense texture that you expect from a meatloaf but are packed with fiber and are much healthier!
Bean and Vegetable Loaf [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
What Ingredients Do You Need To Make Bean and Vegetable Loaf [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 1/2 cups of large red beans
- 3 medium-sized carrots
- 2 red onions
- 1 small celery
- 1 medium-sized potato
- 2 pieces of kombu seaweed about 1-inch
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (plus more oil for brushing the parchment paper)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon of nutritional yeast flakes, optional
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 4 fresh myrtle branches, optional
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- 1 bundle of dried herbs
- 2 cloves of fresh garlic
- Sea salt, to taste
- Tamari, to taste
- Corn flour
- Spelt bread crumbs or gluten-free bread crumbs, if needed
- White wine, to taste
How To Make Bean and Vegetable Loaf [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Rinse the beans under running water and then soak in fresh water with kombu seaweed for 12 hours. After this time, drain the vegetables and put them in a pressure cooker with a new piece of seaweed and cover them with water. Turn on the heat and cook over low heat for 20 minutes. Transfer and let cool.
- Peel the potatoes and steam them. Mash with a potato masher. In a large and shallow saucepan, put 2 tablespoons of olive oil with diced vegetables. Add a pinch of salt and allow to braise with a little white wine over low heat until they are tender.
- Purée the beans in a blender with the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil until you have a smooth puree with a few small pieces of beans.
- Add the purée to the potatoes, braised vegetables, parsley, and lemon juice. Season with tamari, paprika, and nutritional yeast flakes. Let rest the mixture for a few hours in the refrigerator.
- Once removed from the refrigerator, add as much corn flour as needed until the mixture is firm and compact (not too hard) and then divide it into two equal parts.
- Prepare two sheets of parchment paper brushed with oil and sprinkled with breadcrumbs. Fill them with the mixture and with the aid of the paper give it the shape of meatloaf. Add the spices, herbs, and garlic sliced tied closely to the sides with a string.
- Bake in a ventilated oven at 350°F for about 20 minutes.
- Let cool completely, remove from the parchment paper, and cut into thick slices with a sharp knife.
- Beans - All
- Beans - Red
- Veggie Loaf
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile