These vegan black bean meatballs are perfect as an appetizer, or to freeze for when you need some balls to throw in your spaghetti sauce!
BBQ Vegan Black Bean Meatballs [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for BBQ Vegan Black Bean Meatballs [Vegan]
For the "Meat" Balls:
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 400 ml can of black beans, strained and drained
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil - plus some for cooking
- 1 heaped tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup white onion roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds
- 1 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
For the BBQ Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, chopped finely
- 3 cloves garlic finely, chopped and season to taste
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcester sauce
- 1/2 -1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons molasses, optional
- Garnish with fresh mint
How to Prepare BBQ Vegan Black Bean Meatballs [Vegan]
- Add your "meat" ball ingredients into the processor and blend till everything is well combined. You want to ensure there is no loose flour from the oats, this is how you know you've done blending.
- Begin rolling into "meatballs" I like using a tablespoon to measure or even a small ice cream scoop. Please note, your balls will cook differently depending on the size you roll them. Once your balls are rolled, set them into the fridge while you prepare your BBQ sauce.
- Into a medium-sized pot add your oil and heat on low for 1 minute. Add your onions and cook for 5 minutes or until fragrant and translucent. Add your garlic and cook for another minute. Add the remainder of your ingredients and simmer on medium for around 10-15 minutes, stirring often to avoid sticking or burning. Taste and ensure it has the flavors you desire. If it's perfect then remove from heat, once cooled enough to handle use a hand blender to thicken and blend. Set aside.
- Into a large non-stick, pan heat your olive oil for 1 minute or so. Add your balls and cook for around 1 minute on each side. Add your desired amount of BBQ sauce to the pot and cook for around 5-6 minutes, on medium, with the lid on, until your balls are cooked throughout. A way to test this is to cut into one and check if it's hot in the middle and steaming. That's when you know you're ready to eat all this deliciousness!
- Serve hot with rice, on their own or with salad!
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.