Batzina is a traditional Greek pie made from eggs, cheese, and flour. Some versions include pumpkin, others are all cheese. This version leaves out the eggs and cheese, using nutritional yeast for cheesy flavor and includes zucchini. It's thin, crispy, and savory and delicious when served both hot or cold.
Batzina: Greek Zucchini Pie [Vegan]
- 2.2 pounds zucchini
- 1 large onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 1/4 cup soy milk
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 1/4 cup self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons dried peppermint
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Fresh fennel and peppermint
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Sesame seeds, for topping
- Preheat oven to 355°F.
- Grate zucchini and put in a colander. Squeeze it thoroughly with your hands.
- In a blender finely chop onion, garlic, and herbs. In a big bowl, combine zucchini with the onion, garlic, and herb mixture and nutritional yeast. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- In another bowl, combine soy milk with olive oil. Add garlic powder and dried peppermint. Season with salt and pepper. Pour this liquid mixture into the bowl with the zucchini. Stir to combine.
- Add flour and baking powder gradually. Grease a 9x12-inch pan and dust with flour. The pan has to be big, so that the pie is thin. Empty the batter into the pan and top with sesame seeds.
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Remove pan from the oven and allow to set before slicing and serving.