Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
This meal comes together easily and makes a great weeknight dinner!
Basmati with Black Giants, Leeks and Chestnuts [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Basmati with Black Giants, Leeks and Chestnuts [Vegan]
- 14.1 oz (400g) giant black beans
- 2 leeks, thinly sliced
- ~1 cup (200g), boiled and chopped chestnuts
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 can tomato chopped
- 1 cup (250g) tomato juice
- 4 bay leaves
- 4 sprigs of fresh oregano
- 8 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 21.1 oz (600ml) hot water
How to Prepare Basmati with Black Giants, Leeks and Chestnuts [Vegan]
- The night before, soak the beans in a bowl of water. The next day, rinse them and boil them in unsalted water until they are quite soft. Strain them, pour them into a pan and add all the ingredients except the chestnuts.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 356°F (180°C) for 1 hour or until the sauce thickens and the giants and vegetables are completely soft (the time depends on the quality of the legume. if you see that they are not ready and the water has evaporated, add more as long as it is warm).
- Add the boiled chestnuts. While the food is baking, make the basmati. Serve a layer of the rice and top it with these delicious black giants with leeks and chestnuts! Leftovers store beautifully in the fridge. Enjoy!