The classic breakfast, without meat or dairy! This hearty breakfast consists of sausages made from protein-rich white beans, wheat protein, and savory mushrooms that are paired with buttery, cheesy, and dairy-free mashed potatoes.
Bangers and Mash: White Bean and Mushroom Sausages With Mashed Potatoes [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Bangers and Mash: White Bean and Mushroom Sausages With Mashed Potatoes [Vegan]
For the Spices:
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder/onion powder
- 1 tablespoon crushed fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered sage
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
For the Sausage Filling:
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 3 cups Oyster mushrooms, de-stemmed (substitute your preferred mushroom)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 15-ounce cans white beans (your choice)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/3 cup vital wheat gluten
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 4-5 tablespoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
- A few drops liquid smoke
- 4-5 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
- 1-2 teaspoons sea salt
For the Mash:
How to Prepare Bangers and Mash: White Bean and Mushroom Sausages With Mashed Potatoes [Vegan]
To Make the Sausages:
- Mix the spices together and set aside. Pan fry the mushrooms, onions, and garlic in olive oil until starting to get brown. Set aside to cool.
- Then, mash the beans well with a potato masher or pulse in the food processor, but leave lots of whole beans and chunks. Mix the spices in with the beans, and add the remainder of the sausage ingredients. Mix together well before adding the cooled mushrooms.
- Lay out a large cutting board and dust well with flour. Now scoop the mixture out 1/2 cup at a time and roll into sausage shapes. When you're finished shaping, roll each sausage into a small piece of aluminum foil (like a burrito) and put into a steamer basket. Steam for 20 minutes and rack to cool.
- Get a cast iron really hot and sear them around for a while, until browned.
To Make the Mash:
- Boil potatoes until tender. Drain, then add all other ingredients to the pot and mash.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
- Beans - All
- Beans - White
- Potato Recipes
- Seitan (Plant Protein)
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Total Calories: 2663 | Total Carbs: 360 g | Total Fat: 88 g | Total Protein: 117 g | Total Sodium: 17078 g | Total Sugar: 40 g Per Serving: Calories: 296 | Carbs: 40 g | Fat: 10 g | Protein: 13 g | Sodium: 1898 mg | Sugar: 4 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.