Bami is a classic dish in Indonesia and Suriname. It consists of bami, a type of Indonesian egg noodle, that's stir-fried in garlic, onion, brown sugar, soy sauce, and chicken bouillon. This entirely plant-based version uses vegan chicken bouillon and thin spaghetti stands in for egg noodles. It's a simple, no-frills dish that will keep you full and that you can throw together on any given day.
Bami: Javanese Sweet Soy Noodles [Vegan]
- 1 pound thin spaghetti
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 slices ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 vegan chicken bouillon cubes
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Green onion, for garnish
- Cook spaghetti as directed on package. Set aside
- In the same large pot (once empty), sauté onion with olive and ginger until onions are translucent. Add the garlic, brown sugar, and vegan chicken bouillon and cook for about 1 more minute
- Add the soy sauce and water and bring mixture to a simmer. Simmer for about 3 minutes, until the sauce begins to thicken. Then, add the noodles back in and mix well.
- Top with green onion and serve.