This quinoa is a keeper! You'll want to have it for dinner every night - it's delicious, easy to make, and sure to please everyone!
Baked Beans Style Quinoa [Vegan]
- 1 medium-sized onion - finely diced
- 1 garlic clove - finely diced or crushed
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil (or water if you cook oil-free)
- 3/4 cup of quinoa
- 1/4 cup of red lentils
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes + 1 can worth of water
- 3 tablespoons of tamari
- 1 teaspoon of gingerbread spice mix (including cinnamon, star anise, fennel seeds, cardamom, clove and ginger)
- 1 teaspoon of black-strap molasses
- In a large pot, heat up the oil or water.
- Meanwhile, chop the onion and trow it in the pot once warm.
- Chop the garlic & rinse the quinoa and lentils (together is fine) while the onion browns.
- Once the onion is caramelised, add the garlic and stir until fragrant.
- Add the rinsed quinoa and lentils and the can of chopped tomatoes. Fill the empty can with water all the way to the top and empty it out into the pot with the quinoa. That way, you won't have to waste a drop of tomato!
- Add in the tamari, spices, black strap molasses and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 25 minutes (or until most of the liquid is absorbed), stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot or cold!