You are about to embark on a recipe that is not only totally kid tested and approved but something totally different to add to your vegan repertoire. While it does take a little doing to make the vegan fish sticks (or “wish” sticks if you prefer), the tartar sauce is crazy easy and putting the sandwich together is a breeze. Another cool thing is that you will likely have leftover wish sticks that you can have for lunch later in the week. Let’s get started!
Tofu Fish Sandwich [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Tofu Fish Sandwich [Vegan]
- 1 package firm or extra firm tofu (12oz.)
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (use rice flour for a gluten free option)
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons dulse flakes
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 10 turns fresh black pepper
- 1/4 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1 cup high heat oil for frying
- 1/2 cup vegan mayo
- 1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 5 turns fresh black pepper
How to Prepare Tofu Fish Sandwich [Vegan]
- Drain and rinse the tofu and set it in a colander to drain. To make it drain even better, place a plate on top of the tofu and set something heavy on it. Set aside for now.
- Make the breading by placing the cornmeal, flour, basil, garlic powder, onion powder, dulse flakes, sea salt and pepper into a mixing bowl.
- Whisk to combine ingredients and set aside.
- Take tofu out of colander and set it on a cutting board.
- Cut in in half and then into quarters (see pictures)
- Take each of the quarters and slice them into thin pieces. You should be able to get 7 or 8 slices out of one of the quarters (28 – 32 total).
- At this point you want to heat your oil in a large cast iron skillet on medium / low.
- Place the non-dairy milk in a small bowl.
- Take each piece of tofu and dip it in the non-dairy milk and then dredge it in the breading, making sure to coat the tofu well on all sides.
- Place on a large plate and repeat until all of the tofu is covered in batter.
- When the oil is hot and starting to splatter, add as much tofu as can fit in the skillet. You will likely have to do this in a couple batches, depending on the size of your pan.
- Cook for 3 minutes or until golden brown on one side.
- Flip over and cook for an additional 2 minutes on the other side or until golden brown.
- Take the tofu out of the pan and place on a brown paper bag so that the oil gets soaked up by the bag.
- Repeat with the rest of the tofu until all of it has been fried.
- Allow to cool and serve it with tartar sauce
- Add all ingredients into a bowl and mix until all ingredients are well combined.
- Assemble and devour, and be happy for all the fishies in the sea!
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.