These black bean burgers are perfect for house get-togethers. They're delicious and easy-to-make, and this recipe makes 8 patties! The avocado is creamy, while the black beans add lots of protein. Load 'em up with your favorite condiments and dig in!
Avocado Black Bean Burger [Vegan]
For Black Bean Burger Patties:
- 6 cups black beans, cooked
- 3 flax eggs (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed, plus 3 tablespoons water per "egg")
- 1 large white or yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs, plus 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
For Rest of Sandwich:
- Whole wheat buns of choice
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- Working in increments, pulse the black beans in a food processor. You do NOT want to pulverize them into a smooth paste, but make them where you do not have many whole black beans left. Some of the black beans will be creamy, others will just be sort of chopped in half.
- If your onions are not very finely chopped, you can add them into the food processor once your are done with the black beans as well.
- Combine, pulsed black beans, finely chopped onion, 1/3 cup breadcrumbs, and all spices into a large bowl. Mix well until ingredients are well incorporated.
- Form mixture into 8 patties. You can make the patties smaller and get more out of them, but it is not recommended.
- Once patties are made, cover them with remaining 1/4 cup breadcrumbs.
- Next, add a dab of oil onto a skillet and heat on medium heat.
- Once oil is hot, add 1-2 patties. Allow to cook on one side for 5-7 minutes. Then, flip to the other side for another 5-7 minutes. The patties should have a slight crust to them and be fully heated through.
- Assemble the burger to your liking.