Embrace the Fall harvest by making these soft and delicious pretzels that are sure to fill you're house with a wonderful aroma of freshly baked bread! A great snack or appetizer for the season!
Autumn Squash Soft Pretzels [Vegan]
- 3 cups autumn squash (any variety such as butternut or acorn), sliced or cubed
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (or regular)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups gluten free flour
- 3 cups oat flour
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch, plus more for work surface (or corn starch)
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 3 cups water
- Course sea salt for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F and line a small baking tray with foil. Pour the squash onto one of the trays and spread into an even layer. Bake, stirring about every 10 minutes, for 25 to 35 minutes or until fork tender. Remove and cool for about 15 minutes.
- Peel the skin off and place the squash in a blender or food processor and add the water. Pour in the yeast and baking powder and pulse. Add the salt and sugar then scrape mixture into a large bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of cornstarch and flour a few cups at a time and mix well after each addition. Turn dough out onto a surface lightly covered with starch and knead until it begins to come into a dough, adding more starch as needed. Set dough aside to rise for about 1 hour.
- Now preheat oven to 400°F and line 2 baking trays with parchment or silicone pads.
- Combine baking soda and water in a medium pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling, remove from heat. Knead dough for a few minutes again then divide into balls, about 14. Form the balls into snakes and twist into pretzels. Brush water on the spot where the ends meet the base and press down lightly to stick.
- Lay them about an inch apart on baking trays. Now dip each one in the hot soda water and place back on tray. If desired, sprinkle with sea salt
- Bake for 10 - 12 minutes until the pretzels have puffed and outside is golden.