A simple and colorful stir fry with asparagus and carrots, with fresh coconut and South Indian spices
Asparagus and Carrot Indian Stir-Fry [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Asparagus and Carrot Indian Stir-Fry [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon asafetida
- 3/4 teaspoon Bengal Gram Lentils (channa dal)
- 3/4 teaspoon white split lentils (urad dal)
- 10 curry leaves
- 1 to 2 dried red chilies
- 2 cups chopped asparagus (about 1 pound of asparagus, chopped and tough ends discarded)
- 3 medium sized carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon of red cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated coconut
- Optional chopped cilantro to garnish
How to Prepare Asparagus and Carrot Indian Stir-Fry [Vegan]
- Heat the oil for about a minute on medium low heat, and add in the mustard seeds and wait until they pop! Add in the cumin seeds and the asafetida, followed by the Bengal Gram lentils and white split lentils and curry leaves. All of this is done is quick succession so it is a good idea to keep them organized.
- Lightly crush the red chilies and mix in with the asparagus and the carrots and salt and red cayenne pepper and stir well. Cover and cook for about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Remove the cover and mix the vegetables well. Stir in the grated coconut and the cilantro (if using) and stir well. Serve hot with other things or at room temp.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.