These apricot jam donuts are simply scrumptious - packed full of rich flavor, you will not be able to get enough!
Apricot Jam Doughnuts [Vegan]
- 3 1/2 cups wheat flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 1/3 cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 4/5 cup lukewarm water
- 1/5 cup sunflower oil
- 4 cups sunflower oil
- apricot jam
- icing sugar
- Mix flour with dried yeast, sugar and a little salt. Add sunflower oil and water. Knead with your hands until you get a dough. If the yeast dough is too sticky, knead in a little more flour. If it is too crumbly, add spoonfuls of water.
- Knead the dough with the hands for another 5 - 10 minutes. Then let covered in a large bowl covered with a kitchen towel 1 - 2 hours. The dough volume should ideally triple. This works best in a pleasantly warm place (in my home this is the kitchen or the bathroom;)) and usually lasts at most 1.5 hours.
- Once the yeast dough has risen nicely, knead well again on a floured work surface. Then roll out 1 - 2cm thick and cut out dough circles.
- Cover the circles on a floured work surface for another 25 minutes
- Heat the sunflower oil in a large pot. When bubbles rise on the stick, the oil should be at the right temperature.
- Now turn the temperature back slightly so that the oil does not get much hotter. And let's start place the donuts (usually in the pot for 4 to 5 pieces of dough at the same time) upside down (!) With a large spoon in the oil. Cover pot and bake for 2 - 3 minutes. Then carefully turn the donuts and bake for another 2 minutes without lid.
- Gently lift out of the oil, drain and dab with kitchen paper. Do the same with the remaining donuts.
- Allow the finished donuts to cool. When they are only lukewarm, fill with apricot jam.
- Cover with icing sugar.