This Apple Pumpkin "Pie" looks more like a cross between a pumpkin pie and an apple tart, but just didn't sound as attractive, so a pie I shall call it, even though it absolutely, unequivocally is. not. a pie.
Apple Pumpkin Pie Tart [Vegan]
- 300g (10.5 oz) chopped dates
- 200g (7 oz) pecans, chopped
- 100g (3.5 oz) hazelnuts, chopped
- 1 + 1/2 can pumpkin puree, unsweetened
- 4 tbsp pure maple syrup + extra for drizzling
- 130ml (1/2 cup) almond milk
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tbsp agar flakes
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon + extra for garnish
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 small Braeburn apples (or any sweet apple of your choice), cored and sliced into half-moons (about 4-5mm)
- Pulse the nuts and dates in a food processor until they begin to form a sticky dough.
- Press the "dough" into a 25cm (10") pie tin; it's easiest to do it with your hands, rather than a spoon or spatula. Set aside for now.
- Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend thoroughly. This is essential so that the agar flakes are well distributed throughout the mix.
- Pour the filling into the pie tin, spreading it evenly with a spatula.
- Arrange the apple slices such in the photos (or in any which way that tickles your fancy). Drizzle a little maple syrup over the top of the pie.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180ºC (356ºF) for 40-45 minutes. Keep checking on the pie; depending on how thinly you sliced the apples your pie may bake more quickly than expected. If it does, lower the heat ever so slightly.
- Cool on wire rack for 10-15 minutes. Serve with some coconut whipped cream or vegan vanilla ice cream, or even a drizzle of soya cream. Dust with a bit of cinnamon powder.
Recipe adapted from 'Voluptuous Pumpkin Pie' on The Post Punk Kitchen.