This vegan apple pie is perfect for holidays, family get together, or whenever you feel want something sweet! It is full of fall flavor and of course tastes amazing with a scoop of non-dairy vanilla ice cream.
Apple Pie [Vegan]
- 4 pounds apples, approximately 8 large apples
- 1/2 cup + 1/2 teaspoon coconut sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons brown rice syrup
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (juice from 1/2 a lemon)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons vegan butter substitute
- 2 tablespoon unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 disks pie dough (for vegan check to make sure it’s plant-based. Check your store’s freezer section for
- some great organic options)
- Peel, core, and thinly slice apples about 1/4 inch thickness.
- In a large bowl toss the apple slices with lemon juice, brown rice syrup, coconut sugar, and vanilla
- In a very large skillet melt 1/4 cup vegan butter.
- Sauté the apples over medium-high heat for 15 minutes. Juices will be released as the apples soften and that’s OK.
- Add the flour, apple pie spice and sea salt and continue to sauté for 2 to 3 minutes longer.
- Cool the filling completely in the fridge. The filling can be prepared the day before if desired!
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Put the first disk of pie dough into the pie plate, and prick the bottom with a fork a few times.
- Add the apple filling, and dot with the remaining 2 tablespoons vegan butter.
- Carefully roll out the top crust over the filling, and pinch along the sides to close the top and bottom crust together. Cut a few slits in the top crust.
- *Decorative Option – Roll out the top crust with flour. Using a cookie cutter cut out 3 shapes, such as hearts. Place the top crust over the filling mixture. Pinch along sides to close top and bottom. Gently place the shapes back over their holes slightly off-center so there are still openings to allow the pie to vent.
- Brush a light amount of water over the top of the pie and sprinkle with ½ tsp. coconut sugar.
- Put the pie in the oven and turn the temperature down to 375 degrees F.
- Cook for 1 hour.