What's better than biscuits? Fluffy, dairy-free biscuits speckled with chili and freshly grated apple! These spicy-sweet pillows of carby goodness swap out the butter for frozen coconut oil — the key to what makes them so soft and addictive. They go great with dinner or for breakfast with savory mushroom gravy.
Apple Chili Biscuits [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Apple Chili Biscuits [Vegan]
- 2 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup cold extra virgin coconut oil (see notes)
- 1 cup grated fresh apple (about 1 medium apple)
- 3/4 cup cold soy milk
How to Prepare Apple Chili Biscuits [Vegan]
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Combine flour, sugar, and chili powder in a medium bowl. Grate cold coconut oil on the large holes of a box grater into the flour mixture. Add grated apple and toss the two into the flour mixture to coat.
- Pour milk over the mixture and stir into the flour. Gather dough together and place on a lightly dusted counter.
- Knead dough into a ball, then flatten it into a disk. Roll out into a 1/2-inch thick circle. Cut into biscuits using whatever size cutter you'd like. When you cut the biscuits, push the cutter down without twisting, this will let them rise higher in the oven.
- Place biscuits in a cast-iron skillet or on a lined baking sheet. You don't need to space them apart. Re-roll remaining dough and repeat until all dough is used.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the bottoms are brown and the biscuits are cooked.
Freeze the coconut oil until it is hard and then use the large holes of a box grater to grate the oil into small pieces.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.