These sweet, cinnamony cookies are a snap to make, and healthy too. They're filled with all the goodness of almonds and have a sweetened pear jam dolloped on top. They make a lovely on-the-go breakfast treat, are perfect with a cup of tea in the afternoon, and would make a great after school (or work) snack with some cold almond milk.
Almond and Pear Thumbprint Cookies [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Pear jam Topping:
- 2 pears (this recipe used bartlett), chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (or maple syrup or agave)
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup almond slivers or slices for topping
For the cookies:
- 2 cups gluten-free flour blend
- 1 cup almond meal (just grind raw almonds in a coffee grinder)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthum gum
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup coconut oil (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees, and place parchment paper on rimmed baking sheet.
- In a skillet, make pear jam by placing all ingredients over medium heat and give it a stir. Let simmer with a cover on, for 10 minutes while you prepare dough.
- Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl. In a larger bowl mix coconut oil and brown sugar until creamy. Add vanilla and almond milk and stir to incorporate.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir to combine. A dough will from.
- Form dough into golf ball sized balls, and place them on the parchment. You should have roughly 20. When done gently press your thumb into the center of each one, making a deep indent for the jam to sit in.
- Spoon each with a good sized dallop of jam (I would even put a little more than you see in the picture) and top with 5 almond slivers in the shape of a florette.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 375°F, remove from oven and let cool on tray. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool 5-10 minutes more. Enjoy!
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile
Is it really 2 tablespoons vanilla, not 2 teaspoons? Want to make sure this wasn\’t a typo before I make these.