Açaí berries are antioxidant powerhouses from the fruit of the palm tree, Euterpe oleracea, which grows in Central and South America. They have 10x the antioxidants of purple grapes and 2x the antioxidants of blueberries. Açaí berries contain 19 different amino acids, including an optimal combination of essential amino acids, the building blocks of protein. Açaí contains 8 grams of protein per 100-gram serving. They also have essential fatty acids, in the form of Omegas 3-6-9, as well as beneficial flavonoids, magnesium, and potassium. Try this superfood in the following vegan ice cream!
Açaí Ice Cream [Vegan]
- 2 tablespoons freeze-dried açaí powder
- 1 10-0unce package frozen wild blueberries (see notes)
- 2 bananas, sliced and frozen
- 1 cup raw cashews or pistachios
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk
- Fresh blueberries and fresh mint leaves, optional
- Optional, soak cashews in coconut milk overnight in refrigerator.
- Add soaked nuts and milk to food processor and process until smooth OR add nuts to food processor and process until finely ground then add coconut milk and continue processing until smooth.
- Optional—before continuing, strain mixture for creamier ice cream, then return to food processor.
- Add frozen banana slices a few at a time, blending until incorporated and mixture is creamy.
- Add frozen blueberries and continue processing until blueberries are incorporated and ice cream is creamy. If ice cream is too soft, put in freezer until firm but not too solid to scoop.
- Put in individual serving dishes. Optional—garnish with a few fresh blueberries and fresh mint leaves.
Wild blueberries are smaller, more flavorful, and will make a creamier ice cream.