Keeping peanut butter and hummus on hand is a great way to make sure you’re able to make a variety of snacks. Both hummus and peanut butter are high protein spreads; hummus uses a base of chickpeas and peanut butter, of course, uses peanuts. Plus, you can find both easily in stores, as well. This makes them perfect to stock up on use during the week.
If you’ve mastered your own recipe for hummus or peanut butter, feel free to use that! Making both of these spreads homemade means that you get to add your own flavorings and make it exactly to your liking. The best part of using peanut butter or hummus is that you can eat them on their own if you’re in a pinch, but add your favorite veggies or fruits to make it a fulfilling and nutritious snack. Think of having your peanut butter with apples, bananas, or celery. For hummus, think of using carrots or chips to dip, or adding hummus in a wrap!
We also highly recommend downloading the Food Monster App — with over 20,000 delicious recipes, it is the largest meatless, vegan, plant-based, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help you get healthy! And don’t forget to check out our Weekly Meal Plan Archives!
This week, we’re bringing delicious, fully vegan, and plant-based ways to explore a variety of snacks to make using hummus or peanut butter!
Peanut Butter Snacks
Source: Apple Almond Butter Snack
These snacks are perfect to throw together if you’re in a rush or looking for a quick meal. Peanut butter can be paired with a variety of fruits and some veggies for an even easier snack!
- Peanut Butter Waffle Sandwich by Vicky Coates
- Cocoa Peanut Butter Energy Balls by Amarilis Moldes
- Peanut Butter Pretzel Bars by Katarina Hawk
- Peanut Butter Mocha Smoothie by Allie Penner
- Banana Peanut Butter Maple Oatmeal Muffins by Jenny Marie
- Apple Almond Butter Snack by Zuzana Fajkusova and Nikki Lefler
Combining hummus and vegetables in wraps or on their own is a great way to make an easy snack. Try out these delicious recipes that use hummus, and feel free to add your own twist on them, too!
- Wild Rice and Hummus Collard Wraps by Zuzana Fajkusova and Nikki Lefler
- Hummus and Tomato Bruschetta by Harriet Porterfield
- Made-In-Minutes Veggie Hummus Wrap by Natalie Martin MS, RD and Lexie Staten MS, RD
- Homemade Flatbread Wraps With White Bean Hummus and Chickpeas by Logan Dunn & Lexus Osman
Making Your Own Hummus
If you’re new to making hummus at home, try out these homemade hummus recipes! You can make a delicious lemon hummus or even add beets or pumpkin to hummus, as well!
- Basil Butter Bean Hummus by Robin Browne
- 10-Minute Protein-Rich Pumpkin Hummus by Serena Poon
- Hot Pink Hummus by Lena Ropp
- Creamy Traditional Lebanese Hummus by Ruth Grindeland
- Sprouted Meyer Lemon Basil Hummus by Stephanie McKinnie
Snacks That Double as Desserts
Source: No Bake Chocolate Oat Bars
These snacks are all on the sweeter side. These make a great midday snack when you’re craving something sweet; these are also pretty easy to make so they’re excellent to make any time of the week!
- No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Coconut Bars by Medha Swaminathan
- No Bake Chocolate Oat Bars by Hannah Sunderani
- Brownie Batter Hummus by Holly Bertone
- Dark Chocolate Cherry Hummus by Gabrielle St. Claire
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and essential stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.