Vegan roasts and faux meat are such a great holiday addition. However, not everyone is down for them. Sometimes you just want a flavorful entrée that is hearty and delicious without any plant-based meat. If that sounds like you or someone in your family, check out these amazing vegetable entrées for your holiday feasts. They don’t need any fake meat to stand out! Vegetables are the star of the show in these recipes!
We also highly recommend downloading the Food Monster App — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest plant-based recipe resource to help you get healthy!
1. Root Vegetable Tart with Candied Nuts
This beautiful Root Vegetable Tart with Candied Nuts by Kirsten Kaminski is the perfect combination of sweet and savory and a showstopper for your Christmas brunch or dinner! These colors truly pop and there is a variety of textures in this dish: flaky puff pastry, melted cashew mozzarella, chunky root vegetables, and crunchy candied nuts.
Reprinted with permission from Vegan Holiday Cooking by Kirsten Kaminski, Page Street Publishing Co. 2019. Photo credit: Kirsten Kaminski
2. Roasted Cauliflower Piccata With Mashed Potatoes With Sour Cream and Chives
When you cut a head of cauliflower like you would a loaf of bread, the resulting slabs can be roasted and served as delicious steaks. These roasted cauliflower steaks seasoned with a luscious lemony piccata sauce and mushrooms atop a serving of creamy mashed potatoes will be your new favorite way to serve this versatile veggie. You have to try this Roasted Cauliflower Piccata With Mashed Potatoes With Sour Cream and Chives by VEGANIZE IT!
Gratitude: Plant-Based Thanksgiving Cookbook
No other holiday captures the spirit of home cooking the way Thanksgiving does. This is why you need the ultimate Thanksgiving cookbook, One Green Planet’s Gratitude: Plant-Based Recipes to Create your own Thanksgiving Tradition! In the cookbook, you’ll find our 100 most popular plant-based Thanksgiving recipes like Soft Baked Pumpkin Doughnuts, Spiced Apple Cake with Cashew Frosting, Sweet Potato Chocolate Pudding with Nut Crumble Topping, Cinnamon Apple Hand Pies, and hearty entrees like Roast Root Vegetable Stack With Dukkah, Vegducken: Butternut Squash Stuffed With Eggplant, Zucchini, and a Mushroom Lentil Stuffing, and Seitan Roast With Sausage and Pear Stuffing and Apple Cider Gravy and so much more!
3. Ravioli With Kale Pesto And Sautéed Chard
When time’s tight and creativity’s running low, pasta always comes to the rescue. Making ravioli is something that’s going to serve you down the line. This delicious Ravioli With Kale Pesto And Sautéed Chard by Travis Piper is cheesy, packed with greens, and convincing that it’s made with cheese products.
4. Baigan Choka: Trinidadian Roasted Eggplant
Baigan Choka, or roasted mashed eggplant, is to Trinidad and Togabo what baba ghanoush is to the Middle East. It is traditionally made by roasting eggplant over a grill until it’s charred and infused with smoky flavor, then scooping out the inside and mashing it with roasted peppers, tomatoes, onion, garlic, and butter. This Baigan Choka: Trinidadian Roasted Eggplant by Nita Ragoonan is a delicious, flavorful, and creamy dish that’s best served with paratha or any kind of flatbread.
5. Black Lentil Charred Broccoli Shepherd’s Pie
This Black Lentil Charred Broccoli Shepherd’s Pie by Stephanie McKinnie is an extremely warm and comforting entree. This unique take on shepherd’s pie captures the essence of the classic version minus the meat. The charred broccoli is bursting with flavor and it adds to the overall savory essence of the dish. The lentils provide protein and deliver a heartiness facet while the mashed potatoes deliver the comforting component.
6. Herb Roasted Autumn Harvest Bowls
These Herb Roasted Autumn Harvest Bowls by Megan Calipari are easy, delicious and so filling. It’s full of a variety of textures and flavors, and it’s also great for meal prepping! You’ll be obsessed with these Herb Roasted Autumn Harvest Bowls!
7. Stuffed Squash
Source: Stuffed Squash
This Christmas Stuffed Squash by James Wythe packs so much flavor and color that it will grab the attention at your Christmas table. It’s also a lot simpler to make than it may look. It works perfectly as a vegan/vegetarian main for your Christmas roast or you could even have it as a side dish instead of stuffing.
8. Bharli Baingan (Stuffed Eggplant Curry)
Bharli Baingan is a Maharashtrian version of baby eggplants stuffed with fresh coconut, peanuts, and spices. Serve this Bharli Baingan (Stuffed Eggplant Curry) by Pavani Nandula with roti or rice and dal for a filling and delicious meal.
9. Tahini-Roasted Cauliflower With Lemony Herb Oil
Dinners, in the traditional sense, are usually centered around one main dish. For a stunning centerpiece that looks as amazing as it tastes, you have to try this Tahini-Roasted Cauliflower With Lemony Herb Oil by Maikki Vasala. Along with being gorgeous, it is craftily spiced, rubbed down with a nutty tahini coating, drizzled with lemony herbs, and eventually garnished with roasted almonds. This whole roasted cauliflower will be a crowd-pleaser at your next dinner party––or maybe you’ll want to keep it all to yourself!
10. Grilled Eggplant With Lemon Basil Drizzle
This Grilled Eggplant With Lemon Basil Drizzle by Taryn Fitz-Gerald makes a delicious light option for lunch, dinner, or a side dish. Eggplant slices are seasoned with only salt and then grilled until tender — the real flavor comes from the easy lemon basil dressing. The flavors complement each other superbly. Open to other possibilities such as being wrapped up and stuffed with your favorite fillings, like cashew ricotta.
11. Vegetable Paella
Source: Vegetable Paella
Though traditional paella centers on a variety of meat and seafood, this dish is a vegetable-focused version that highlighted the array of hearty vegetables common in Spanish cuisine: artichokes, bell peppers, fennel, and peas. The artichokes and peppers have an extra flavor from roasting and then tossing them with a bright, lemony sauce. The sautéed fennel with chopped onion gives the dish a rich caramelized flavor that gave the dish an aromatic backbone. Chopped kalamata olives brought in a distinct pop of briny, contrasting flavor. You will love this Vegetable Paella by America’s Test Kitchen!
12. Vegetable Tart
Source: Vegetable Tart
13. Vegetable Pot Pie
Source: Vegetable Pot Pie
The vegetables in their thick curry gravy are tender and delightful. The pie crust makes the whole meal so special and inviting. Welcome the chill in the air with this warm scrumptious dinner. This Vegetable Pot Pie by Wendy Irene is fantastic!
14. Vegetable Korma
Source: Vegetable Korma
The Vegetable Korma by Nikki and Zuzana is sweet, mildly spicy, creamy…and super tasty. Plus there is a super quick and easy “curry paste” that is great to have when you are short on time. It has broccoli, sweet potato, and carrots, but you can add in whatever you’d like really. This vegetable korma is so cozy and delicious––perfect for fall!
15. Vegetable Flatbread Tarte
Source: Vegetable Flatbread Tarte
The great thing is that for this Vegetable Flatbread Tarte by Kirsten Kaminski you’ll only need 10 basic ingredients, 30 minutes of your time, and no special skills. It is the perfect quick and easy, yet delicious lunch, dinner, or brunch option! Essentially this recipe is very customizable. It’s loaded with veggies which can be changed or adjusted depending on what you have at home.
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade repeatedly.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.