Watermelon is one of my favourite things to eat in the summer, but I was looking for a way to spice it up for the upcoming long weekend. Instead of using watermelon in the same old way (sliced up, or in fruit salad, etc.) I decided to make it the starring character in a savoury recipe. This gazpacho can be whipped up in a flash, so it's perfect for serving at your last Summer barbecue this weekend. It also presents beautifully, whether you decide to serve it in bowls or in shot glasses for a unique appetizer. The sweetness of the watermelon balances perfectly with the little kick from the serrano pepper and the flavourful boost of fresh herbs.
Watermelon Gazpacho [Vegan]
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1/2 serrano, chopped
- 2 cups watermelon, cut in small cubes, plus extra for garnish
- 1/2 cucumber (approximately 3/4 cup roughly chopped)
- 1 shallot, chopped (roughly 2 Tbsp)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp sherry vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp each fresh parsley, and basil, plus extra for garnish
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Basil oil, for garnish
- In a blender, process the tomato, serrano pepper, and half the watermelon until smooth.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except for basil oil and remaining watermelon, and process until smooth. Stir in remaining watermelon.
- Pour into small bowls, and garnish with basil oil, small cubes of watermelon, cucumber, and herbs.