Who doesn't love a big, delicious sandwich full of plant-based proteins? We all do, especially when that sandwich is packed full of crisp apples, chewy cranberries and crunchy pistachios! Since dreaming this recipe into existence I've made it no fewer than four times, and each meal has been a little bit different. I've had it on bread, wrapped in a tortilla, even served on crackers! As the weather continues to warm, spring becomes summer, and I'm looking for lighter fare, I can see myself enjoying it in crisp lettuce cups too. The possibilities are endless! I used soy curls for the "chik'n", but you could easily use seitan or even tempeh. You could also replace the Vegenaise with a homemade version.
Vegan Chik’n Salad with Cranberries and Pistachios
4 - 5
- 1.5 cups dry soy curls
- 1/2 cup diced granny smith apple (1 small apple)
- 2 scant dashes apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup shelled pistachios, chopped
- 5-6 Tablespoons vegenaise (more or less, depending on how creamy you want the salad)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries (such as Craisens)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- a pinch of thyme
- Soak the soy curls in a very warm water for 10 minutes. Squeeze all excess water out of them, then roughly chop the larger pieces and set aside.
- While the soy curls are soaking, mix the diced apple and vinegar, draining out any excess.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the apples with all the other ingredients, stirring well. Check for seasoning, then chill for at least 30 minutes, covered. Serve as desired and most importantly... Enjoy!!
- Seitan (Plant Protein)