This easy vegan recipe was made by simply cooking maple syrup over a stove top for ten minutes and freezing it. In the Caribbean we have a dessert similar to this called peanut drops.It’s made by caramelizing sugar over the stove instead of maple syrup and adding in roasted peanuts in place of almonds. Peanut drops are made at home and enjoyed, or sold in town for about one dollar. That’s definitely what I call a cheap thrill. I pulled from “ma” Indian Caribbean roots when it came to spicing these candies. Cardamom, which is an expensive spice used in Indian cuisine gave these candies a unique warmness.Cinnamon and ginger grounded these candies in the familiar which lead to the over all appeal.
Splendid Maple Candy Crackle [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 cups maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg powder
- 1 cup chopped almonds or any nut
- Place the first 6 ingredients in a medium sauce pan.
- Place the sauce pan on the stove and let cook on high heat for 9 mins
- Add in the walnuts and let cook for 1 min.
- Pour the hot mixture into silicone candy molds or onto a metal surface.
- Freeze for two hours and serve.