When the sun is scorching there is nothing better than a cool treat to bring down your temperature and tease your tastebuds. Unfortunately the thing people reach for the most is dairy based ice cream. This option is so hard on the body because it consists of primarily animal-based protein and fat. It’s also really hard on our fragile planet and the cows we share it with. What if there was a way to satisfy your tastebuds AND tread lightly while maintaing your health at the same time? Sound impossible - well it’s perfectly accessible with a few items from the produce section of every grocery store - and a blender.
Soft Serve Sundae Recipes [Vegan]
- 3 frozen peeled bananas
- 2-3 Tablespoons plant-milk (soy, almond, rice etc)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 Cup frozen or fresh raspberries, blueberries or strawberries or a combination of all of them
- 1/4 Cup water
- 1/3 Cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1/4 Cup non-dairy milk
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Peanuts or almonds
- Hot fudge sauce (above)
- Freeze 3 peeled bananas until solid.
- Break each banana into about 4 pieces and place in a blender.
- Add the vanilla extract and the plant-milk. If you have a high power blender this will be a breeze but don’t worry, you can do this in any blender you just have to stop and stir a few times before it blends into ice cream. If it does not blend easily add an extra tablespoon of plant-milk.
- Eat as it or create a sundae by topping with yummy sundae sauces
- Heat in a small saucepan, stirring often until warm and serve over ice cream.
- Because the ice cream is sweet there is no need to add sugar to the sauce.
- Heat in a small saucepan, stirring often until chocolate is melted and sauce is thick.
- If it’s too thick add more plant-milk.
- Serve over ice cream with chopped almonds or pecans.
- Go crazy and layer the soft serve with peanuts or chopped almonds and hot fudge sauce for a decadent treat!
- Nothing like having fun without doing harm.