This recipe was inspired by one of my favorite vegetarian restaurants in Vancouver. After I tried their flavorful, filling salad, I knew that I wanted to create a version of my own at home. The warm sesame dressing is so satisfying, and even seems like a comfort food- surprising, for a salad! You can prepare the dressing ahead of time, and the best way to warm it up is to put it in a bowl, and submerge it in hot water. Using a pot or the microwave can cause it to 'break'. Alternatively, if you have a Vitamix or Blendtec blender, you could heat it using that.
Sesame Tofu + Broccoli Salad
Ingredients You Need for Sesame Tofu + Broccoli Salad
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp ginger, minced
- 2 tbsp agave nectar
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp sambal oelek
- 1/4 cup tamari
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 19 fl oz can chickpeas, drained, and rinsed
- 1 block extra-firm tofu, drained, and pressed, and cut into long blocks
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp vegetable broth or water
- mixed greens, washed, and dried
How to Prepare Sesame Tofu + Broccoli Salad
- Blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth.
- Set aside.
- Prepare tofu. In a pan over medium heat, heat olive oil. Add tofu, and fry for 1-2 minutes on all four sides, until a crust has formed.
- Steam broccoli until tender.
- Warm chickpeas in a frying pan with vegetable broth over medium heat, a few minutes, until warm.
- Heat dressing up by submerging in hot water until fluid.
- Place mixed greens in large serving bowl and top with broccoli, chickpeas, tofu, and dressing. Enjoy!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.