Luckily most of you won't know what a Dobos torte is so I'm off the hook for not recreating it that well. It's supposed to be a vanilla sponge cake, thinly layered with chocolate buttercream and topped with hard caramel slices. I didn't make enough layers because (a) this cake doesn't need that many layers to make it filling and satisfying; I didn't want to make each slice a challenge to eat because it was too much and (b) I just didn't make enough cake or frosting. I'M NOT PERFECT, OKAY.
Raw Vanilla Cake with Chocolate Buttercream and Maca [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Raw Vanilla Cake with Chocolate Buttercream and Maca [Vegan]
- 1 cup oats
- 1 cup buckwheat groats
- 1-2 cups dates
- Seeds from 1 vanilla pod
- 1 cup cashews (or 1 avocado)
- 1/4 cup cacao
- 1/4 cup melted liquid coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup, date paste, or other sweetener
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons each of maca powder, liquid coconut oil, and maple syrup
How to Prepare Raw Vanilla Cake with Chocolate Buttercream and Maca [Vegan]
- To make the cake: pulse the oats and groats in your food processor until they are small crumbs. Add the dates and vanilla and process until it all sticks together slightly. Put in a bowl and set aside.
- To make the frosting: if you're using an avocado just throw everything in and blend. If not, pulse the cashews in your food processor until they become very fine crumbs, basically cashew butter. Add all the other ingredients and blend until smooth. Put in a fridge.
- Make the maca slices: blend the ingredients together then spread into a circle the same diameter as your cake. Let it harden in the fridge, this might take an hour or so.
- Assemble the thing: on parchment paper, press about 1/3 of the cake mixture into a thin circle layer with your hands. You can use a pan to help you shape it or draw a circle and use that to guide you. Transfer this carefully onto your presentation plate. Spread on 1/3 of the frosting evenly. Make another layer on the parchment paper and transfer it onto the first layers of cake and frosting. Continue until you run out. Cut the maca circle into eight slices and place on top of your cake. THEN EAT IT.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.