This is a twist on the popular cream cheese and pepper jelly appetizer, but made so much better since it's for breakfast! With a crisp crust and a creamy middle, this a sweet and savory way to start the day. Whole wheat french bread and whole wheat pastry flour may be substituted if desired.
Pepper Jelly Stuffed French Toast with Blackberry Maple Syrup [Vegan]
- 1 loaf stale french bread (12-inch), cut into 8 (1 1/2-inch) slices
- 3 tablespoons vegan cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons hot pepper jelly
- 1 tart apple, cored, cut into thin slices
- 2 cups vegan milk
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon Sucanat
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Canola oil, for cooking
- Maple syrup, for serving
- 1 to 2 tablespoons blackberry (or other) jam
- Cut each bread slice nearly all the way through to the bottom crust to create a pocket. Spread a generous teaspoon of cream cheese inside the pocket, followed by a generous teaspoon of hot pepper jelly. Tuck two to three apple slices into the pocket.
- Combine the milk and vinegar in a large shallow baking dish. The mixture will curdle and become like buttermilk. With a fork, stir in the nutritional yeast, sugar, and cinnamon. Stir in the flour. The batter should be thick. Lumps are okay. Add a tablespoon of additional flour if needed to thicken the batter.
- Heat 1/4 inch of oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. When it starts to ripple, reduce the heat to medium. Cooking in batches, dip the bread slices in the batter, turning to coat them completely. Cook the slices for 3 to 4 minutes until the bottom is golden brown. Turn over to cook the second side until golden. With tongs, turn the slices so that the opening side of the bread also cooks. The whole slice should be golden brown.
- Whisk the jam into the maple syrup, as desired, for serving.