True to the sweet-savory flavoring Moroccan cuisine is known for, this easy dish showcases Moroccan flavors using pantry staples, for a quick and satisfying meal. For a complete meal, serve over cooked greens.
Moroccan Sweet Potatoes and Chickpeas [Vegan]
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¾ tsp ground ginger
- 3 sweet potatoes, skinned and diced
- 1 15-oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Lemon wedges for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Mix the spices together in a small bowl, whisking to combine, and set aside.
- Rinse sweet potatoes under cold water and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Pour half the spice mixture over the top and mix with your hands until well coated.
- Transfer sweet potatoes to a cookie sheet, making sure there is no overlap, and set aside.
- Rinse chickpeas under cold water, then transfer to the mixing bowl and cover with remaining spices.
- Mix with your hands until well combined and transfer to the cookie sheet.
- Bake sweet potatoes and chickpeas for 10 to 15 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are fork-tender.
- Halfway through, give the chickpeas a good shake so they turn over. You want the chickpeas to be golden and slightly crisp.
- Squeeze lemon over sweet potatoes and chickpeas before serving. Serve over cooked greens with additional lemon wedges.
Diced butternut squash is a fine substitution when it’s in season, though the bake time may be longer, roughly 30 to 45 minutes. Bake squash by itself first, then add chickpeas toward the end of the baking cycle.
- Sweet Potato
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile