Interested in losing weight, lowering your cholesterol, upping your fibre intake, or regulating your blood sugar? Then you'll want chickpeas on your side. These cream-coloured, buttery beauties are packed with a wide array of nutrients that support our digestive system, leave us feeling satiated and keep our hearts happily ticking away. Chickpeas have a unique combination of fibre, protein and complex carbohydrates, which means they keep us feeling full, slow the release of sugars into our bloodstream and move food along our digestive tracts – resulting in regularity. High-fibre foods also bind to cholesterol, toxins, chemicals and excess hormones (like estrogen), so we can sweep them out. Because we don't want that stuff in our bods, right? Chickpeas work wonderfully in salads, and this one is incredibly summery and refreshing. It isn't very fancy, but it's got staying power, due to the protein and fibre in the chickpeas. It's easy to throw together, too, and is the perfect choice for a picnic or potluck. You could certainly spruce things up with a few more veggies and herbs, if you've got them lying around. But why not keep it simple?
Lemony Chickpea Salad [Vegan]
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped cucumber
- Juice and zest of one lemon
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup finely chopped dill
- ¼ tsp salt, or more to taste
- Place the cooked chickpeas and chopped cucumber into a large bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk the lemon juice, lemon zest, olive oil, dill and salt.
- Add the dressing to the chickpeas and cucumber, then mix well. Taste and add more seasonings if necessary.