In this appealing side dish, brown sugar adds the sweet, while the tamari provides the savory. It is a beautiful dish that will enhance any meal—and a great introduction to cooking kale, as it takes the mystery out of preparing this fantastically nutritious leafy green vegetable. Curly leaf style kale is pictured here, but Lacinato kale (known too, as Dinosaur or Tuscan kale) is particularly tasty in this dish too. To make certain your kale is not tough; remove the thick steam from the leafy part of the kale before slicing and steaming. Simply fold the kale leaf in half (see photo) and run your knife along the stem to easily remove it from the leaf. No more tough kale... It's kale-icious!
Jazzy-licious Kale [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Jazzy-licious Kale [Vegan]
- 1 large bunch kale, stemmed, washed and very thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium tamari
- 4 teaspoons unsalted roasted sunflower seeds
How to Prepare Jazzy-licious Kale [Vegan]
- Steam the kale until wilted and quite soft but still bright green, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Transfer to a medium bowl. Put the oil, brown sugar, and tamari in a small bowl and whisk to combine.
- Pour the mixture over the kale and toss until the kale is evenly coated.
- Sprinkle the sunflower seeds over the kale and toss lightly.
- Serve immediately.
For a lower-calorie dish, use only 1 tablespoon of olive oil and increase the amount of tamari to taste.
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.