This traditional style Festive Apple Cake makes a spectacular dessert that provides just the right finish to any festive holiday meal. The apples become caramelized and gooey as the cake bakes and the inside is sweet, moist and super flavorful. The optional addition of cinnamon or apple pie spice adds a touch of holiday flair! This cake gets raves every time I serve it! Try topping the cake with my jazzylicious Maple Tofu Whip, or serve it with a big scoop of coconut based vegan “ice cream” on the side. Oh yes, Festive Apple Cake serves double duty, as a fancy breakfast cake that can be served cold or re-warmed in the oven. YUM! Happy, healthy holidays from the Jazzy Vegetarian!
Festive Apple Cake [Vegan]
6 - 8
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice or apple pie spice (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar (use ¾ cup for sweeter cake)
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 cup plain or vanilla nondairy milk
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed until smooth
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- Ground cinnamon
- 15 ounces soft silken organic tofu
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- Dash of vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly spread vegan margarine over the sides of an 8-inch square baking pan, then line the bottom with parchment paper.
- To make the topping, melt the margarine in a medium skillet over medium heat. Decrease the heat to low and sprinkle in the brown sugar. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens slightly and becomes syrupy, about 7 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cinnamon. Add the apples and stir gently until evenly coated. Transfer to the prepared pan, spreading the apples in an even layer.
- To make the cake, put the flours, baking powder, 1 teaspoon cinnamon or pie spice (if using) and salt in a large bowl and stir with a dry whisk to combine. Add the brown sugar and stir with the whisk to combine. Add the apple and raisins and stir until coated with the flour.
- Stir in the nondairy milk, bananas, and oil and mix just until incorporated. Do not overmix or the cake will be tough.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Put the pan on a baking sheet and bake for 45 to 55 minutes, until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. If the cake begins to brown too much during the last 15 minutes of baking, tent it with foil.
- Put the pan on a wire rack and loosen the sides with a knife. Let cool for about 15 minutes. Invert onto a serving platter and carefully peel off the parchment paper. Let cool for 10 minutes longer before slicing. Sprinkle the cake with cinnamon if desired.
- Serve warm or at room temperature. Wrapped tightly and refrigerated, leftover cake will keep for about 4 days.
- Blend soft tofu with maple syrup and vanilla in a blender until mixture is very “creamy” and smooth. Refrigerate until serving. Great served over fresh fruit!