This is a wonderful creamy dressing to top you favorite salads or even use as a dip. I personally found myself tipping the bowl to get the last of it. It's light and refreshing on its own, adding it to a fresh salad just makes it that much better. I've been waiting to find a great creamy style dressing that's easy to make at home and finally I've found one that fits my needs and hopefully yours too. This is raw, nut free, soy free, gluten free and of course vegan. I think this will amaze you as much as it amazed me. The base of this recipe is hemp hearts. If you’re unfamiliar with hemp seed hearts, you will want to add these great little seeds to your lifestyle. They are easy to sprinkle in smoothies, on salads, add some to the top of your toast and jam. In this recipe they create a wonderful creaminess. Hemp seeds are a great source of omega 3 & 6 and are a high quality complete protein. Four tablespoons, or 1/4 cup, of hemp seeds contain 15 grams of protein, and they're also a good source of fiber containing 2.5 grams per quarter cup. They also contain high concentration of vitamins and minerals such as iron, vitamin E, thiamine, riboflavin, folic acid and many other micro-nutrients that your body needs. Another great thing about hemp seeds is that they do not need to be soaked to aid in digestion, they can be eaten raw and the body will absorb and digest all nutrients readily and easily. They contain a lot of nutrition in a small package.
Creamy Lemon Herb Dressing
- 1/2 cup hemp hearts
- juice of 1 medium lemon
- a few strands chives, broken into 1 inch pieces
- a few sprig leaves fresh dill
- a few sprig tops fresh cilantro and/or parsley
- dash or two garlic powder
- dash or two onion powder
- Himalayan salt to taste
- 1/3 cup water, plus more as needed for thinning
- Using a blender, I used the magic bullet for this, combine ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Add water 1 tablespoon at a time until desired consistency.
- Taste for flavor adding anything extra to suit your taste...more lemon?...more herbs?...more garlic or onion powder?
- Chill before serving. Makes about 5 servings.
- Store in an air tight container in refrigerator for up to a week.
I have not made this in a regular blender. The magic bullet works wonders but if you don't have one this should work fine your blender at home. You may consider doubling the recipe if using a larger blender. To make into a dip, use less water.