Want to pump up the protein factor in pesto? Make it with hemp seeds instead of pine nuts. Add a dreamy cashew cream to it, toss it with some grape tomatoes and mix in some pasta. This is also great on a roasted veggie panini or sandwich.
Creamy Hemp Pesto [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Creamy Hemp Pesto [Vegan]
For the Cashew Cream:
- 1 cup cashews
- 3/4 cup water
For the Pesto:
- 2 cups fresh basil, packed
- 1/3 cup hemp seeds
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- zest of 1 lemon
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup cashew cream
How to Prepare Creamy Hemp Pesto [Vegan]
To Make the Cashew Cream:
- Blend cashews and water in a high speed blender. I used a Vita-Mix which will help get it ultra smooth.
To Make the Pesto:
- In a food processor, blend basil, garlic, lemon zest, salt, pepper, and hemp seeds until coarsely blended and then drizzle in olive oil while processing until smooth.
- Stir in cashew cream.
- Spiralize a raw zucchini into pasta, or cook brown rice pasta according to package directions. Top with creamy hemp seed pesto and grape tomatoes, and garnish with fresh basil.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.