This Spanish-inspired dish is so pretty with its warm, golden stew-like base and its fresh green sauce. And the flavors complement each other perfectly: the spicy chorizo is offset and cooled just a bit by the fresh kale sauce, made rich and creamy with buttery cashews. The sweet-tart apples temper the heat of the chorizo as well, creating a beautifully balanced fall dish that goes together in a snap. I like to serve it as tapas, but no one would take issue with a big bowl of it!
Chorizo, Apple, and Chickpeas With Kale and Cashew Sauce [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup roasted and lightly salted cashews
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 4 lightly packed cups of fresh kale, torn into pieces
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened soymilk
- Juice of 1/2 of a medium lemon
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice (a yellow onion would work fine)
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium green apples--any sweet-tart variety--cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 1 pound vegan chorizo
- 2-15.5 ounce cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- Optional: sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a small bowl, pour boiling water over cashews and allow to sit for about a half hour; drain.
- Place all ingredients in the food processor and process until smooth.
- Transfer mixture to a one-quart saucepan and place over medium heat.
- Bring to a very gentle simmer and reduce heat to medium-low, add a couple of tablespoons of water, and stir very frequently to prevent sticking.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes or until the kale no longer tastes raw.
- Keep warm by covering and placing over a double boiler with the heat sill set at medium-low.
- In a large skillet over medium-high, heat olive oil to shimmering.
- Add onion, and saute, stirring frequently, until it begins to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, and saute for about 30 seconds.
- Crumble in chorizo and heat through, stirring.
- Add chickpeas, and do the same.
- Season with salt and pepper if desired and serve warm topped with warm Fresh Kale and Cashew Sauce.