Fall is in the air, and that means lots of squashes, apples, fall spices, pies.. I am not a fan of sweet fruit pies. So I decided to add the pie filling in a yeast bread. The filling in a bread does not need as much sugar. The bread is mildly sweet and makes an amazing snack as is, or a delicious french toast or plain toast with some maple , earth balance butter, nut butter, or topped with some cashew cream and more apples and pie spice! This is a yeast bread, so it has limited sugar and fat content. It is like a mild flavored, light and airy, no guilt apple pie. I has some whole barley that I let my blendtec convert into flour and here we are with a multigrain(ok 2 grain- wheat and barley) bread. Find lots of my yeast breads here.
Apple Pie Swirl Multigrain Bread Loaf [Vegan]
1 8.5x4.5 pan
Ingredients You Need for Apple Pie Swirl Multigrain Bread Loaf [Vegan]
- 1/4 cup water
- 1.5 teaspoons active yeast
- 1 teaspoon raw sugar
- 1/2 cup bread flour
- 1/2 cup barley flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 Tablespoons flaxmeal
- 2 Tablespoons raw sugar or maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- Spices - 1/4 teaspoon apple pie spice ( or cinnamon and nutmeg)
- 1 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or virgin coconut oil
- 1 Apple chopped small and thin
- 1-2 Tablespoons ground raw sugar
- 1+ teaspoons apple pie spice
How to Prepare Apple Pie Swirl Multigrain Bread Loaf [Vegan]
- Warm 1/4 cup water, add yeast and 1 teaspoon raw sugar. Mix well and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- In another bowl, mix in all the flours, spices, salt.
- Add the yeast mixture, oil, sugar/maple, and water to the flours and knead for a minute or two.
- Spray water on top, cover with a towel and let sit for 1.5 hours.
- Use 2-3 Tablespoons wheat flour to get the dough together without sticking to your hands and knead for 2-3 minutes.(If you like smooth doughs, knead for 5 minutes for better gluten formation)
- Flatten it out on a floured surface to atleast 10 inches wide.( roll it out or flatten it using hands)
- Top with Chopped apple, ground raw sugar and sprinkle spices liberally keeping an inch on all sides. Use as much sugar/spice or as little as you like.
- Roll up the dough tightly, and seal the ends by pressing the dough.
- Place seam side down in parchment lined medium bread pan.
- Spray water on top, sprinkle oats or wheat flour. Cover with a towel and let rise for 40 minutes or until almost doubled.
- Bake in preheated 360 degrees F for 40-45 minutes.
- Take bread out. Let rest for 5 minutes, then remove from parchment. Let cool for half an hour before slicing.
- Best served warm. Store in refrigerator in a sealed container for 3-4 days.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.