For individuals with dietary restrictions such as a vegan lifestyle, finding suitable food options in healthcare settings has often been a challenge. The limited availability of plant-based choices in hospitals can leave those with such dietary needs with few or no options. However, a recent development in the food manufacturing industry promises a positive change for individuals seeking plant-based alternatives in healthcare settings.
Source: Rebellyous Foods/YouTube
Rebellyous Foods, a Seattle-based food manufacturing technology company specializing in plant-based products, has successfully secured a significant distribution contract with Vizient, a prominent group purchasing organization representing the healthcare sector and various educational institutions. This partnership aims to address the scarcity of vegan options in healthcare settings by making Rebellyous Foods’ plant-based chicken products accessible to a vast network of institutions.
Under the agreement, Vizient’s extensive public sector customer base, with an annual purchasing volume of $130 billion, gains access to a range of Rebellyous Foods’ plant-based chicken offerings. These products include vegan nuggets, tenders, and patties, all of which are cholesterol-free and produced without the use of antibiotics and hormones. The partnership extends beyond just catering to individual dietary needs; it has the potential to contribute to the broader goals of promoting public health and sustainability.
Lauren Pitts, Senior Food Service Account Manager at Rebellyous, expressed excitement about the partnership, emphasizing its national reach. She stated, “Vizient’s customer base has a national presence — increasing their plant-based portfolio can have an impact on the planet and public health.” This sentiment underscores the significance of collaborations between food manufacturers and major healthcare distributors in addressing both individual dietary needs and broader environmental concerns.
Rebellyous Foods has been proactively expanding its presence in school cafeterias, driven by the growing preference for plant-based options among students. The company’s products, including vegan nuggets, tenders, and patties, align with USDA standards for meat alternate credits in the National School Lunch Program. The positive response from students, as observed at the Annual National Conference of the School Nutrition Association, has encouraged Rebellyous Foods to focus on providing plant-based choices within educational institutions.
Rebellyous Foods recently secured $9.5 million in funding to develop its Mock 2 “next-gen meat machine.” This cutting-edge technology is capable of producing 10,000 pounds of plant-based products per hour on a single production line. The increased production capacity is expected to enhance operational efficiency, making plant-based nuggets, tenders, and patties more competitively priced and widely accessible in the market.
Find Rebellyous Foods here.
- New York Hospitals Go Green with Plant-Based Menus
- A Hospital’s Fresh Approach to Healthier Eating
- Congress Considers 100% Plant-Based Meals at School
- Berkeley Commits to Phase Out Spending on Animal-Based Foods
- Incogmeato™ Coming to Hospitals and Schools
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.