Kelp is on people’s minds again, with multiple outlets listing it as an upcoming food trend. Men’s Health reports that kelp is an up-and-coming ingredient, due to its environmental profile and flavor opportunities. Kelp is a seaweed and is rich in magnesium, fiber, iodine, and may help keep you fuller longer than starchy foods rich in fiber like whole wheat noodles or bread.
Kelp noodles are one such use of the ingredient and are growing in popularity. Used in Asian recipes and made from only 3 ingredients, usually, they’re marketed as a gluten-free, fat-free alternative to traditional pasta. Their iodine content also makes these noodles a standout ingredient.
Source: Dr. Gus/YouTube
“Kelp is often called a ‘superfood from the sea’ because it has 10 times more calcium than milk and more vitamin C than OJ,” Robin Berzin, M.D., functional medicine doctor and the founder of Parsley Health told MindBodyGreen.
KSAT12 reports that kelp is great for the environment because it requires no fertilizer and cleans water by removing nutrients that cause algae blooms. Kelp is also chock full of Vitamin B and calcium.
Read more about kelp in One Green Planet, check out these articles:
- All You Ever Wanted to Know About Sea Vegetables: Kelps, Noris, Oh My!
- 10 Different Ways to Eat Seaweed
- Kelp Noodle Chili Salad [Vegan, Raw]
- Kelp Noodle Sea Salad [Vegan]
- Chili Thai Kelp Noodles [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- All You Need to Know About the Amazing Health Benefits of Kelp
- Kelp Noodles in Peanut-Miso Sauce [Vegan]
For those of you interested in eating more plant-based, we highly recommend downloading the Food Monster App — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest plant-based recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! And, while you are at it, we encourage you to also learn about the environmental and health benefits of a plant-based diet.
Here are some resources to get you started:
- Weekly Vegan Meal Plans
- Plant-Based Health Resources
- Plant-Based Food & Recipes
- Plant-Based Nutrition Resources
- The Ultimate Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition
- Budget-Friendly Plant-Based Recipes
- High Protein Plant-Based Recipes
- Plant-Based Meal Prep
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Lastly, being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!