The perfect alternative for animal’s cheese is raw, vegan, pure, and easy to make nuts cheese. Here I’m giving you the basic cheese recipe, your starter. Once you have successfully made the basic raw cheese, you can continue the exploration by making it with herbs, kefir, rejuvelac, dulse, probiotics, miso, nutritional yeast, etc.
How to Make Raw Cheese [Vegan]
- 200 gr. macadamia nuts
- some spring water
- 1/2 lime juiced (optional)
- a dash of pink himalayan salt
- Place the macadamia nuts in the blender.
- Pour enough water to cover them, but not too much.
- Get the blender working on high speed for 30 seconds. That’s the moment it will start warming up and we don’t want that. Stop for a while and hit the high speed for another 30 seconds…
- When the nuts are all blended and puffy add the lime juice and the salt and mix again (with a spatula, not the blender).
- Take a colander, place doubled mesh bag in it and pour in the cheesy cream.
- Fold the bag covering all the mixture and add something heavy on top, like a plate, big cup or a small pot.
- Take the setting into a warm location and leave it there for 24 hours. It will be best if you add more weight on it at some point, to drain all the water out of the cheese. Garnish with herbs & nutritional yeast. Serve with crackers, veggies and red wine.
Your cheese will be ready in 24 hours. Remove it from the mesh bag into a plate and keep in the fridge. If you want to eat it as a creme cheese – then eat it. But if you want it to look like real cheese, leave it in the fridge for at least another 24 hours. The longer it stays in the fridge the harder it becomes.