Chick-fil-A, the 77-year-old conservative fast food chain, has caused quite a stir with its new plant-based offering. The announcement of the Chick-fil-A Cauliflower Sandwich has deeply divided fast food aficionados, with some welcoming it while others have reacted with horror to the chain ‘going woke’. The Atlanta-based family firm announced on February 13 that they were trialling the new sandwich in three locations: Denver, Colorado; Charleston, South Carolina, and Greensboro, North Carolina.
Source: USA TODAY/Youtube
The $7 sandwich contains no meat, but is not considered fully vegetarian “due to its cooking environment,” Chick-fil-A said. A regular Chick-fil-A chicken sandwich can cost as little as $3.05 in cities where the plant-based newbie is being trialled. Cauliflower is breaded and fried in peanut oil and served with pickles in a toasted bun, but the sandwich isn’t considered vegetarian or vegan because it’s cooked in oil also used to fry chicken sandwiches.
While some are surprised by the new offering from Chick-fil-A, others are supportive of the company’s decision to diversify its menu. The Cauliflower Sandwich is plant-forward, as it places a tender filet from a whole cauliflower at the centerpiece of the entrée, the company said. “It’s a great option for those looking to bring more vegetables into their diet without sacrificing the Chick-fil-A flavors they know and love.”
It’s worth noting that Chick-fil-A is known for its conservative outlook. The company’s founder, Truett Cathy, was deeply Christian and insisted his restaurants close on Sundays – as they do to this day. Their company’s mission statement declares their purpose is “to glorify God by being a faithful steward of all that is entrusted to us and to have a positive influence on all who come in contact with Chick-fil-A.”
Despite the company’s conservative background, the move to introduce a plant-based option to the menu is a positive one. The world is waking up to the reality of Climate change, and it’s becoming increasingly clear that the meat industry is one of the biggest contributors to greenhouse gas emissions. By offering a plant-based option, Chick-fil-A is showing that they are taking steps towards a more sustainable future.
It’s also worth noting that this move towards sustainability is not just for the benefit of the environment. There is a growing market for plant-based options, and companies that fail to keep up with the times risk losing out to competitors who are more in touch with consumer demand. With more and more people adopting plant-based diets, it makes sense for companies to cater to this growing market.
For those who are concerned about the price difference between the chicken sandwich and the Cauliflower Sandwich, it’s worth remembering that meat is often cheaper than vegetables because it’s subsidized by the government. As more people switch to plant-based diets, we can expect the price of vegetables to become more competitive with meat.
In conclusion, the launch of the Chick-fil-A Cauliflower Sandwich is a positive step towards a more sustainable and inclusive fast food industry. While some may be resistant to change, it’s clear that the world is moving towards more sustainable and ethical practices, and companies that fail to adapt will be left behind. If you’re in one of the three locations where the sandwich is being trialed, we encourage you to give it a try and show your Support for a more sustainable future.
- SimplyV Launches Plant-Based Cream Cheese in the United States
- LOVE: One Green Planet Launches Plant-Based Cookbook Featuring Your Delicious Chocolate-Based Desserts Treats Made Vegan!
- Amazon Fresh Launches New Ready-to-Eat Affordable Vegan Meals
- Anita Dongre Launches Vegan Plant-Based Accessories Line
- Startup Launches Plant-Based Hard Boiled Egg
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.