The banana split is a classic American dessert that primarily includes a cut-in-half banana, ice cream, fudge sauce, and whipped cream. The popularity of this special treat has led some to create cakes, pies, oatmeals, and other interesting variations that utilize the original flavors. Here are 8 banana split recipes that are sure to satisfy any sweet tooth!
1. Grilled Banana Split
Source: Grilled Banana Split
This Grilled Banana Split by Kyra Howearth starts with grilled, caramelized banana halves and homemade, creamy vanilla coconut ice cream. Then, you top it with a warm, chocolate drizzle and a sprinkle of chopped walnuts.
2. Banana Split Sugar-Dusted Beignets
These beignets are a tribute to New Orleans. They taste just like the ones from Café Du Monde. These Banana Split Sugar-Dusted Beignets by Lauren Hartmann are even more awesome because they’re drowned in chocolate powdered sugar, banana powdered sugar, and strawberry powdered sugar. They taste just like a banana split!
Reprinted with permission from Southern Vegan by Lauren Hartmann, Page Street Publishing Co. 2020. Photo credit: Lauren Hartmann and Julie Grace
Get the Blissful Cookbook!
3. Banana Split Oatmeal with Roasted Almonds
This is a real luxury breakfast meal! It’s a mix between the fried banana that you get with ice cream at Chinese restaurants and very simple yet delicious oatmeal. Top it off with some roasted almonds and a vegan Nutella! This Banana Split Oatmeal with Roasted Almonds by Natalie Yonan is spectacular!
4. Banana Split Chocolate Cake
Source: Banana Split Chocolate Cake
Bananas and cacao are one of those luscious, divine pairs that go together like peanut butter and jelly. This Banana Split Chocolate Cake by Laura Grosch uses gluten-free flours, starches, fruit, non-dairy milk, and whole ingredients to create a tasty, fluffy chocolate cake with a soft low-fat pudding layer and a chocolatey topping. Enjoy your favorite ice cream sundae in cake form!
5. Breakfast Banana Split
Source: Breakfast Banana Split
Turn the traditional decadent dessert on its head by transforming it into this Breakfast Banana Split by Kat Condon. So here’s how it works: instead of ice cream, add three scoops of thick oatmeal! Dairy-free yogurt replaces whipped cream and then it’s sprinkled with healthy toppings like fresh fruit, almonds, hemp seeds, and more! Hello, weekend breakfast plans!
6. Raw Banana Split Ice Cream Cake
Source: Raw Banana Split Ice Cream Cake
This Raw Banana Split Ice Cream Cake by Chantelle Zakariasen is fully awesome. It’s loaded with all the best things — vanilla bean, cacao, nuts, hemp seeds, young coconut meat, berries, and of course, bananas! From birthday parties to backyard barbecues, this cake is sure to be a hit.
7. Healthy Banana Split Dippin’ Dots
Remember Dippin’ Dots? The little ice cream spheres were a mainstay at amusement parks across America. Sadly, they’re full of sketchy ingredients like yellow #5, red #40, and high fructose corn syrup. Gross, right? These Healthy Banana Split Dippin’ Dots by Jasmine Briones taste exactly like the Banana Split Dippin’ Dots you remember from your childhood – but with none of those crazy additives!
8. Banana Split
Source: Banana Split
This Banana Split by Carlota Cassou is a recreation of a classic recipe, but much healthier. It contains no dairy or refined sugars, but it is super tasty, decadent, and delicious. It can be eaten as a dessert, snack, or even for breakfast on those hot days of summer.
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and essential stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.