2020 was a long year, but it was a great year for all things food, and that includes some amazing cookbooks that we stocked our shelves with. Flip through these books to see beautiful pictures that will have your stomach growling, and get ready to want to cook everything in sight!
We also highly recommend downloading the Food Monster App — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan, plant-based and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help you get healthy!
We gathered some recipe selections from these fantastic cookbooks to get you started. Check them out!
1. The Classics Veganized: Over 120 Favourite Comfort Food Recipes for a Vegan Lifestyle by Doug McNish
Vegan cuisine is exploding in popularity around the world, and now more than ever, people are adopting a plant-based diet or vegan lifestyle. Not only can you thrive eating a healthy plant-based diet, but also you can now enjoy all those familiar comfort food dishes that you have been craving. In The Classics Veganized, you will find over 120 drool-worthy dishes that reinvent classic comfort foods with a modern spin. Standout vegan dishes that no one would know are meatless! Start with appetizers, like Crispy Mushroom Calamari, Cheesy Tex-Mex Quesadillas, and Boneless Wings, because really, is there any other way to kick-off a meal? You will find lots of hearty mains like Hickory Smoked Ribs, Chickpea Pot Pie, Home-Style Meatloaf, White Widow Mac and Cheese, and Shepherd’s Pie. The Classics Veganized also includes recipes to make your own vegan pantry staples and condiments from cheeses and butters to dressings and sauces.
- Fettuccini Alfredo
- New York Style Cheesecake [Vegan]
- Gooey Cheese Fondue
- Buttermilk Blueberry Pancakes
- NY Strip Steak
2. Southern Vegan by Lauren Hartmann
Source: Southern Vegan
Here to ring in a new era of vegan cooking is Lauren Hartmann, native Southerner, chef and founder of the food blog Rabbit and Wolves. In these 60 recipes, Lauren shows you how to make rich, buttery, decadent plant- based versions of all your favorite southern foods, so you never again have to miss out on the tastes you love. With foolproof cooking methods and easy substitutions, every bite of these spot-on vegan dishes will transport you to a warm summer night, full of family, tradition and (of course) a little sweet tea.
- Barbecue Mushroom Lasagna
- Red Velvet Funnel Cakes
- Banana Split Sugar-Dusted Beignets
- Southern Faux Fish and Chips
- Candied Jalapeño Hushpuppies with Sweet Butter
3. Deliciously Ella Making Plant-Based Quick and Easy: 10-Minute Recipes, 20-Minute Recipes, Big Batch Cooking by Ella Woodward
Ella’s new collection shows us that vegan cooking doesn’t have to be difficult or time-consuming. It’s easy to embrace a plant-based lifestyle with her fuss-free, simple recipes that cater for our busy lives. Divided into 7 sections, the new book offers recipes with an approximate cooking time, showing you how to make simple meals that will satisfy your taste buds and inspire you every day. Delicious breakfasts – from quick pancakes to fruity smoothies and easy toast-toppers Lunches, Dips & Dressings – an array of healthy plant-based options 10-Minute- and 20-Minute Meals, plant-based eating doesn’t have to be complicated or time-consuming – quick pasta dishes, simple noodles, hearty vegetable-laden bowls and Asian-inspired plates Big Batch Cooking – to help you get ahead and plan your week Sweets – portable bars, flapjacks and slices to satisfy your sweet tooth Weekend – impress and delight your friends and family.
- 10-Minute Apple Pancakes
- Pulled Eggplant Dip
- Creamy Greens
- Mushroom and Walnut Ragu
- Nut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
4. Vegan Yack Attack’s Plant-based Meal Prep by Jackie Sobon
Jackie Sobon is a food photographer, recipe developer, and author specializing in vegan food. She is the founder of the popular food blog Vegan Yack Attack, which has been showcasing her creative recipes and stunning photography since 2011 and has been placed on many top blog lists. Her work has been featured on websites such as KTLA News, Good Morning America, Kris Carr, PureWow, Babble, and BuzzFeed. Jackie has photographed cookbooks for the likes of Jason Wrobel, Happy Herbivore, and other plant-based authors. She is the author of Vegan Bowl Attack! and Vegan Yack Attack on the Go! and has self-published three e-books. She is also the Sweet Treats columnist for VegNews magazine.
- Smoky Sweet Potato Soup
- Hash Brown Frittata
- Almond Butter Tofu Stew
- Baked Berry Oatmeal
- Southwest Salad
5. The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet by Joni Marie Newman
Hold on to your buns, the burger revolution has begun! The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet takes the popular veggie burger to the next level of flavor and fun with more than 100 daringly delicious, internationally inspired vegan burgers—burgers that stack up to any patty around (meat-full or meat-free) and will wow not only your vegetarian and vegan friends, but all the skeptics, too. In this revised edition of the original, you’ll find more than 30 new recipes featuring healthier options, fewer processed ingredients, and more whole-food, plant-strong ingredients like jackfruit and aquafaba (plus icons for no added oil/salt/sugar, and even more gluten-free recipes!). You’ll also find budget-friendly tips and tricks, a “fast-food favorites” section that recreates iconic favorites from popular chains, updated techniques, and alternative cooking methods to include the slow cooker and air fryer.
- Trifecta Burger
- Tabbouleh Salad Burger
- Aloha Teriyaki Burger
- Masa Masala Burger
- Bacon and Egg Burger
- Western Bacon Burger
6. Vegan Chocolate Treats by Ciarra Siller
The only requirement to completely bask in all this cookbook has to offer? Must. Love. Chocolate. Give in to your cravings while staying true to your vegan lifestyle with Ciarra Siller’s 60 delectable chocolate-based recipes. Bring a little (or a lot!) of chocolate goodness to every part of your day, whether it’s starting the morning off right with Chocolate Hazelnut– Stuffed French Toast for breakfast, snacking on Blueberry Chocolate Energy Bites for a quick afternoon pick-me-up or letting it all go with Death by Chocolate Blackout Cake for an over-the-top dessert.
- Salted Caramel Chocolate Truffles
- Chocolate Crunch Bars
- Cookie Dough Chocolate Bars
- Soft and Chewy Brownie Swirled Cookies
- Delicious Walnut Fudge
7. The Plant Protein Revolution Cookbook by Robin Robertson
Robin serves up more than 85 fantastic recipes that deliver ample amounts of entirely plant-based protein, along with a host of other nutrients and a whole lot of big, bold, substantial flavors that anyone, vegan or not, can enjoy. From snacks and appetizers like Roasted Smoky Chickpeas, in which tamari and chickpeas are the main protein sources, and Baked Tofu with Peanut Sauce, where peanuts and tofu deliver a big protein punch, through delicious soups, stews, salads, and sides, and on to dozens of robust main courses like Jambalaya Red Beans and Rice, Indonesian Noodles with Tempeh, and White Bean Cassoulet, The Plant Protein Revolution Cookbook packs loads of tasty nutrients onto every page. Chapters on plant-protein-rich breakfasts, sandwiches, and sweets and treats make this a book you can use all day, any day. Whether you are a vegan wondering where your protein will come from or an omnivore who wants to eat meatless on occasion but needs to know you’re getting plenty of protein, this enticing book deliciously delivers all the recipes you need.
- Bean and Beet Burgers
- Pasta and White Beans with Spinach-Walnut Pesto
- Indonesian Noodles with Tempeh
- Almond Butter Blondies
- Chocolate-Kissed Peanut Butter Pie
- Chickpea Piccata with Mushrooms
- Tofu Tacos with Sriracha-Lime Slaw
8. Vegan Comfort Cooking by Melanie McDonald
When Melanie McDonald first became a vegan, she was disappointed in the lack of vibrant, flavorful vegan recipes available―so she created her own. Now, she shares all her favorite homey recipes, ensuring that everyone can enjoy tasty plant-based dishes Pump up your mornings with Black Forest Breakfast Crepes or Rustic Skillet Potato and Greens Hash. Gather around the dinner table with family and friends to enjoy favorites like Soul-Warming Stew and Dumplings, Sticky Sweet-and-Sour Tofu and Rich and Saucy Bolognese. And satisfy all those between-meal cravings with sweets and snacks like Bangin’ BBQ Cauliflower Wings and Sky-High Apple Pie. No matter the meal or occasion, Melanie’s recipes prove that the vegan versions of familiar favorites leave you feeling nourished and satisfied.
- Sticky Toffee Pudding
- The Whole Enchilada Casserole
- Pear-fect Baked Oatmeal
- Tofu in Purgatory
- Loaded Zucchini Breakfast Casserole
9. But I Could Never Go Vegan by Kristy Turner
Source: But I Could Never Go Vegan
If you’re a waffling vegan newbie, on-the-fence vegetarian, or veg-curious omnivore, this book will banish your doubts. You’ll find you can get enough protein, fit in at a potluck, learn to love cauliflower, and enjoy pizza, nachos, brownies, and more—without any animal products at all. (Even vegan pros will discover some new tricks!) Colorful photographs throughout will have you salivating over Kristy’s inventive, easy-to-follow recipes. So what are you waiting for? Get in the kitchen and leave your excuses at the door!
- Mediterranean Tofu Scramble
- Buckwheat Banana Bread Pancakes with Peanut Butter Syrup
- Butterscotch Bread Pudding
- Buffalo Cauliflower Calzones with Cashew Blue Cheese
- Savory Corn Cheesecake with Cilantro-Pepita Dressing
10. The Flexible Family Cookbook by Jo Pratt
A cookbook to suit the whole family’s differing wants and needs, The Flexible Family Cookbook is full of simple and delicious recipes to keep the whole family happy.
Jo Pratt provides flexible adaptations for each recipe to account for allergies, intolerances and lifestyle choices. Traybakes and one-pot roasts make for easy and convenient timesavers, whilst scrumptious puds and simple bakes help get smaller hands involved in the cooking. Covering everything from gluten-free, nut-free, dairy-free cooking and veganism, to suggestions for flavour and spice adjustments for younger or fussier palettes, this book will be a lifesaver in the kitchen and a crowd-pleaser at the table.
- Creamy Pea, Spinach and Cashew Soup
- Mediterranean Baked Peppers
- Creamy Salad Dressing or Dip
- Simple Bao Buns with Hoisin Eggplant and Quick Pickled Carrot
- Indian Dosa with Spiced Sweet Potato
- Lemon and Raspberry Loaf
- Creamy Mango, Passion Fruit and Lime Pots
11. Effortless Vegan by Sarah Nevins
Source: Effortless Vegan
Who says preparing vegan, gluten-free meals has to be so hard? Get back to enjoying your time in and out of the kitchen with Effortless Vegan. Painless to prep, simple to cook and completely plant based and gluten free, these delicious recipes focus on full flavors, clean eating and efficiency. Leave your stress behind with this collection of straightforward, no-fuss recipes that make vegan cooking so easy it’s effortless.
- Mediterranean Chickpea Spinach Stew
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bars
- Pizza Supreme Casserole
- Black Bean Enchilada Quinoa
- Savory Socca Pancakes with Sauteed Balsamic Mushrooms
- Strawberry and Grape Walnut Salad
- Crispy Tofu and Fried Rice
12. Bowls by America’s Test Kitchen
Want to cook healthier low-stress dinners, improve your lunch game, and find meals that can be prepped mostly in advance? Bowls are for you! The beauty of building a meal in a bowl is its versatility, and this book helps you compose 75 interesting bowls that incorporate a multitude of flavors and textures, all while streamlining prep work to keep them casual and fun.
- Fattoush Salad Bowl
- Saucy Udon Noodle Bowl
- Chimichurri Couscous Bowl
- Farro Bowl with Tofu, Mushrooms, and Spinach
- Vegetable Shabu-Shabu Bowl
- Tofu Sushi Bowl
13. Wait. That’s Vegan by Lisa Dawn Angerame
Seasoned vegan chef Lisa Dawn Angerame, founder of Lisa’s Project: Vegan, has developed incredibly tasty, shockingly hearty and amazingly accurate vegan versions of all those meat, fish and dairy dishes you still crave. With Lisa’s savvy plant-based meals, eating vegan will never again mean giving up the flavors you love. This mouthwatering collection of recipes will have you whipping up such creamy, decadent and rich meals that you’ll have to stop and ask yourself: Wait, that’s vegan?!
- Salt-Cured Beet Carpaccio
- Coconut White Chocolate Crème Brûlée
- Deep-Dish Spinach Phyllo Pie
- Chickpea Shakshouka with Avocados and Fresh Herbs
- Lobster Mushroom Mac ’n’ Cheese
14. Veggie Burger Atelier: Extraordinary Recipes for Nourishing Plant-Based Patties, Plus Buns, Condiments, and Sweets by Nina Olsson
Nina Olsson (@nourishatelier) shares her secrets for crafting the perfect veggie burger with considerations to texture, flavor, firmness, and juiciness. You will also learn substitutions that will let you vegan-ize your burgers, or make them gluten-free. Nina’s extraordinary veggie burgers are creatively conceived, straightforward to assemble, and presented in incredible, full-color photography, with step-by-step instructions. Veggie Burger Atelier is your one-stop guide to making the most flavorful, beautiful, and delicious meat-free burgers!
- Berliner Burger
- Grill Burger
- The Truffled Burger Queen
- After Beach Burger
- Spicy Herb and Broad Bean Burger
- The Northerner
- Seitan Burger
15. Vegan Thai Kitchen by Sarah Jansala
Sarah Jansala, with the help of her mom, Renoo, opened the first vegetarian Thai restaurant in Portland, Oregon, to great success. Now, she is sharing her secrets with you. Her delicious plant- based (and gluten-free!) recipes allow you to enjoy your favorite Thai meals without the guilt. Jansala’s 75 reimagined Thai recipes are designed to be nutritious, quick and, above all, tasty. She includes starters like Tofu Satay, mains like Spicy Basil Tempeh, curry sauces that you will want to make over and over again and even vegan desserts like Mango Sticky Rice. With every recipe, Sarah does more than teach you to cook amazing food―she gives you insight into the flavors, history and significance behind Thai dishes. The Jansala mother–daughter duo has squeezed all of their generational and industry knowledge into one simple guide to traditional Thai food.
- Banana Blossom Tom Kha Soup (Tom Kha Hue Plee)
- Banana Spring Rolls
- Lotus Root Tom Yum Soup (Tom Yum Raak Bue)
- Gluten-Free Yellow Curry (Kao Pad Sapparod)
- Ginger Tofu (Pad Khing)
And because we couldn’t choose just 15… Here are more cookbooks (with recipes) that we featured:
- The Side Dish Bible,America’s Test Kitchen
- The Mindful Kitchen, Heather Thomas
- Three Veg and Meat,Olivia Andrews
- The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet ,Joni Marie Newman
- Rouxbe: Veganuary, Rouxbe
- Rouxbe: Immunity, Rouxbe
- Mediterranean Instant Pot, America’s Test Kitchen
- The Complete Mediterranean Cookbook, America’s Test Kitchen
- The No-Waste Vegetable Cookbook,Linda Ly
- Vegan Buddha Bowls, Cara Carin Cifelli
- The Everything Mediterranean Instant Pot, Kelly Jaggers
- The Great Protein Cookbook, Celine Steen
- Low Carb Cookbook, 4 Ingredients, Pascale Naessens
- La Vida Verde, Jocelyn Ramirez
- The Vegan Slow Cooker,Kathy Hester
- Low-FODMAP IBS Solution Plan and Cookbook,Rachel Pauls, M.D.
- Gluten-Free Vegan Cooking in Your Instant Pot, Kathy Hester
- No Meat Athlete, Matt Frazier and Stepfanie Romine
- Plant Powered Athlete, Zuzana Fajkusova and Nikki Lefler
- Preserving Veggies, Angi Schneider
- One Pan Pescatarian, Rachel Phipps
- Vegan Everything, Nadine Horn and Jörg Mayer
- Baked with Love, Brittany Berlin
Want to know what cookbooks we featured last year? Check that out here!
Learn How to Cook Plant-Based Meals at Home!
Reducing your meat intake and eating more plant-based foods is known to help with chronic inflammation, heart health, mental wellbeing, fitness goals, nutritional needs, allergies, gut health, and more! Dairy consumption also has been linked to many health problems, including acne, hormonal imbalance, cancer, prostate cancer and has many side effects. Learn about some Common Health Concerns That May Disappear Once You Ditch Dairy and 10 Calcium Supplements For Healthy Living on a Dairy-Free and 10 Carrageenan-Free Non-Dairy Products!
For those of you interested in eating more plant-based, we highly recommend downloading the Food Monster App — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, plant-based, vegan and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! And, while you are at it, we encourage you to also learn about the environmental and health benefits of a plant-based diet.
Here are some great resources to get you started:
- Weekly Vegan Meal Plans
- Plant-Based Health Resources
- Plant-Based Food & Recipes
- Plant-Based Nutrition Resources
- The Ultimate Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition
- Budget-Friendly Plant-Based Recipes
- High Protein Plant-Based Recipes
- Plant-Based Meal Prep
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!