These 15 budget-friendly vegan recipes from the Food Monster App are so good and so cheap! A big concern about transitioning to a vegan diet is the price of groceries and food, but these budget-friendly recipes prove that it’s so easy to eat well without spending a ton of money. Eventually, you will remember how to make these amazing dishes by heart and learn how to create your own budget-friendly dishes from scratch!
We understand the struggle, so we put together a list of the ultimate 15 plant-based budget-friendly recipes of 2022. Don’t forget to check out our budget-friendly recipe archives and also our top budget-friendly recipes from 2020!
1. Cucumber Melon Gazpacho
Source: Cucumber Melon Gazpacho
This Cucumber Melon Gazpacho by Julie Zimmer is light, velvety, tasty, and cool. It’s the perfect mid-day meal during the heatwaves that many of us are experiencing these days.
2. Baked Egg Cups
Source: Baked Egg Cups
Start your day on a good note with these high-protein, gluten-free, and vegan baked egg cups! Make a batch of these Baked Egg Cups by Mitch and Justine Chapman ahead of time for a quick and easy breakfast or snack.
3. Autumn Dreams Smoothie Bowl
Source: Autumn Dreams Smoothie Bowl
A late autumn smoothie bowl may seem an unusual treat to share right now with the arrival of colder weather and heavier comfort foods. Ahhh… but when you savor your first creamy spoonful you’ll realize that this is a perfect time. What could be more snuggly than curling up in a cozy chair with a mug of warm chai tea and a bowl of this Autumn Dreams Smoothie Bowl by Katherine Henderson? The idea of bliss.
4. Mexican Sheet Pancakes with Guacamole
Source: Mexican Sheet Pancakes with Guacamole
This recipe has a savory Mexican twist. If you’re looking for something a little different, this Mexican Sheet Pancakes with Guacamole by Luce Hosier is the one for you. Sweet corn is such an underrated veggie in my opinion, and the crushed tortilla chips add a fabulous crunch.
Reprinted with permission from One-Pan Vegan by Luce Hosier. Page Street Publishing Co. 2022. Photo credit: Luce Hosier.
5. Spicy Peanut Noodles
Source: Spicy Peanut Noodles
We’ve been obsessed with knife-cut noodles ever since being introduced to them through social media. Maybe you’ve seen videos of chefs effortlessly slicing noodles off a big block of dough directly into a pot of boiling water. These Spicy Peanut Noodles by Tiffani Thompson and Larone Thompson are prized for their texture, which is chewy but soft. When shopping for them in markets or online, look for dao xiao mian, knife-cut noodles, or knife-shaved noodles. Adding peanut butter to this noodle recipe results in a dish that is creamy, crispy, tangy, and spicy. In this case, the chili crisp is not optional! If you want to dial up the heat, even more, swap the regular sesame oil for sesame chili oil.
6. Qalayet Bandura (Tomato Garlic Skillet)
Source: Qalayet Bandura (Tomato Garlic Skillet)
This Qalayet Bandura (Tomato Garlic Skillet) by Heifa Odeh is a simple Palestinian brunch staple and is a favorite in our household. It is especially loved by my father, who not only enjoys making it for the family but also eating it. He would make it often in the warmer months, as we grew our own tomatoes and green chiles. You can expect an explosion of melt-in-your-mouth tomato and garlic flavor with a kick of heat! This skillet is often enjoyed with fresh pita bread for the perfect bite.
Credit: Reprinted with permission from Dine in Palestine by Heifa Odeh. Page Street Publishing Co. 2022. Photo credit: Doaa Elkady.
7. 10-Minute Protein-Rich Pumpkin Hummus
Source: 10-Minute Protein-Rich Pumpkin Hummus
This 10-Minute Protein-Rich Pumpkin Hummus by Serena Poon is excellent to whip up when you’re looking for a creative way to use up extra pumpkin!
8. One-Sheet Bbq Mushroom Jack ‘n Peaches Sandwiches
Source: One-Sheet Bbq Mushroom Jack ‘n Peaches Sandwiches
This One-Sheet Bbq Mushroom Jack ‘n Peaches Sandwiches by Epic Vegan Quick and Easy by Dustin Harder is a variation on pulled pork sandwiches with the addition of peaches. Adding peaches to any BBQ situation, or even just eating BBQ peaches, is delicious! The sweetness paired with the spices of the BBQ sauce makes for a super tasty flavor combo. Mix that up with savory and chewy mushrooms and jackfruit and it’s a sandwich that even your non-vegan friends will be asking you to make every Fourth of July! Speaking of which, you can turn this into sliders with smaller buns for a breezy appetizer.
9. Soft and Chewy Double Chocolate Cookies
Source: Soft and Chewy Double Chocolate Cookies
These Soft and Chewy Double Chocolate Cookies by Megan Calipari are everything. Soft, chewy, rich, and fudgy. They have a hefty dose of cocoa powder in the dough and are packed with chocolate chips. And the sprinkle of sea salt on top is the finisher. It makes the chocolate flavor pop and makes these cookies irresistible. Even to double chocolate cookie haters. Make a batch of these Soft and Chewy Double Chocolate Cookies for the chocolate cookie skeptics out there. They deserve to know what they are missing.
10. Cowboy Caviar with Quinoa and Zesty Lime Dressing
Source: Cowboy Caviar with Quinoa and Zesty Lime Dressing
Cowboy caviar is typically made with a mixture of black beans, black-eyed peas, loads of fresh veggies like corn, red pepper, tomato, and avocado, and flavored up with some onion, cilantro, and jalapeño then tossed with a vinaigrette style dressing. This Cowboy Caviar with Quinoa and Zesty Lime Dressing by Carol Clayton is fresh and filling!
11. Morning Cleanse Smoothie
Source: Morning Cleanse Smoothie
Upon rising, your body is “breaking the fast” of sleep. That’s why the first meal is called break-fast. Your body is in a very delicate state at this point and needs to be gently led into its encounter with food. It is crucial to have a very light and easily digestible breakfast to open the day. This Morning Cleanse Smoothie by Zuzana Fajkusova and Nikki Lefler is the perfect way to do this!
12. Chickpea Pasta Salad
Source: Chickpea Pasta Salad
This easy-to-prep chickpea pasta salad will only take you 5 minutes to prep and 25 minutes to make. This Chickpea Pasta Salad by Maria Koutsogiannis is easy, and delicious for summer picnics.
13. Easy Black Bean Quinoa Chili
Source: Easy Black Bean Quinoa Chili
An Easy Black Bean Quinoa Chili by Caroline Doucet made with pantry ingredients. This comforting vegan dinner is packed with flavor and contains a generous amount of plant protein from black beans and quinoa. Serve it with avocados, vegan cheese, green onions, and cilantro to take it to the next level.
14. Broiled Maple Cinnamon Grapefruit and Strawberries
Source: Broiled Maple Cinnamon Grapefruit and Strawberries
The greatest breakfast for Valentine’s day or any day ever——has arrived! Your next start to the morning needs this Broiled Maple Cinnamon Grapefruit and Strawberries by Shanika Graham-White, made with roasted grapefruit, a cinnamon-infused maple sauce, yogurt, granola, and fresh strawberry slices. Perfect for any grapefruit lover!
15. Chocolate Chip Muffins
Source: Chocolate Chip Muffins
These Chocolate Chip Muffins by Robin Browne are airy, slightly moist, and use a simple gluten-free flour-oat! Whether you are on the go or working from home these days, these gluten-free muffins are bound to bring a little boost to your day (and your belly!).
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and essential stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!