Kale is a plant from the brassica family that also includes such favorites as cabbage, broccoli, kohlrabi, arugula, and Brussel sprouts. Kale gained the nickname King Kale due to its superior nutritional profile and health benefits. It is also delicious and can be easily incorporated into many a meal.
Kale is rich in vitamins A, K, C, B6, Manganese, Calcium, Copper, Potassium, and Magnesium. It has a high chlorophyll content and contains 3g of protein per cup. Actually, one cup of raw kale contains more Vitamin C, an important antioxidant, than an orange, and is also one of the best-known sources of Vitamin K. As well, kale is a good source of fiber and is low in fat and calories. This makes kale one of the most nutritionally dense foods.
1. Garden Picnic Pasta Salad with Veggies, Herbs, and Orange-Miso Tahini Dressing
Kale plays an integral role in this Garden Picnic Pasta Salad with Veggies, Herbs, and Orange-Miso Tahini Dressing by The Whole Foods Diet. Pasta is tossed together with a rainbow of veggies and covered in a creamy orange-miso tahini dressing that gives a citrusy zing. Here kale is eaten raw. This is a quick meal to throw together and works wonderfully as leftovers.
2. Creamy Kale & Zucchini Pasta
This is a great recipe for those looking for an alternative to wheat pasta. It is also ideal for this time of year when zucchini are heavily in season. In this recipe for Creamy Kale & Zucchini Pasta by Rouxbe, the kale is cooked down with caramelized onions and stirred into the zucchini noodles. A creamy tahini sauce brings everything together.
3. One Pot Creamy Tuscan Kale Pasta
You can pull this meal together in under 30 minutes. The creamy sauce in this One Pot Creamy Tuscan Kale Pasta by Shanika Graham-White is made from cashews that give you a velvety texture and a protein boost. The kale is sautéed with garlic and tomatoes for a rich savory flavor.
4. Pasta Primavera
Source: Pasta Primavera/One Green Planet
This is a really simple dish that requires you to add a few veggies and, of course, some kale to a jar of tomato sauce. This could be one that you have had in your pantry that has been waiting for the perfect recipe to accompany. This Pasta Primavera recipe by Wholesome LLC is a perfect weeknight meal.
5. Plant Protein Pasta Salad Bowl
This Plant Protein Pasta Salad Bowl by Nikki and Zuzana calls for red lentil pasta which adds protein power, but you could use any pasta of your choice. You will still get plenty of protein from the black lentils and hemp heart-based dressing. Here, kale is accompanied by its green friends, spinach, arugula, and a host of fresh herbs.
6. Kale Walnut Pesto Pasta
This recipe for Kale Walnut Pesto Pasta by Mitra Shirmohammadi couldn’t be simpler. Aside from making a pot of pasta, you just need to throw all of the ingredients into a blender to make up a batch of this kale pesto. Kale is added to the pesto along with the traditional flavor of basil. Walnuts are used in place of pine nuts, and a healthy helping of nutritional yeast gives it that ‘cheesy’ note.
7. Spaghetti a la Caesar
This recipe for Spaghetti a la Caesar by Kim Sujovolsky is another easy one to prepare. Kale is sautéed with garlic and tossed in with the spaghetti. Then, the dish is served with a helping of almond parmesan, lemon, and chili flakes.
8. Sweet Potato Noodles with Garlic Cashew Cream
Here is another great gluten-free ‘pasta’ option. This recipe for Sweet Potato Noodles with Garlic Cashew Cream by Christine Zulkosky takes a creamy cashew sauce and serves it with sweet potato noodles, a generous portion of kale, and chunky mushrooms to give it a bite.
9. Comforting Kale Pesto Pasta Casserole
This Comforting Kale Pesto Pasta Casserole by Florian Nouh is full of texture and flavor. The crust is made from gluten-free breadcrumbs, and the pasta is tossed in a kale-based pesto. The whole dish is complied with and then baked for about 15-20 minutes. It is a lovely vegan take on classic comfort food.
10. Kale Lasagna
Source: Kale Lasagna/One Green Planet
We can hardly do a list of pasta favorites and leave out the lovely lasagne. This Kale Lasagna by Peffe Stahl is vegan and gluten-free. This is a really simple recipe that calls for soy or oat milk-based bechamel sauce which is layered between sheets of vegan lasagna. The kale is then sautéed with onions before joining the bechamel.
Make your pasta dishes extra delicious and nutritious with a generous serving of kale.
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.