Using a zucchini (courgette) as a wrap around a tasty filling is an excellent way to make simple bite size food. A medium zucchini will yield 15–18 usable slices. It is easy to prepare these rolls in advance, so they are still fresh when serving. Store them in the refrigerator and let stand at room temperature 15–20 minutes before serving.Recipe Text Credit: Excerpted (or Adapted) from VEGAN AT HOME © 2022 by Solla Eiríksdóttir. Reproduced by permission of Phaidon. All rights reserved
Zucchini and Horseradish Macadamia Cheese Rolls [Vegan]
For the Rolls:
- 2 zucchini (courgettes)
- 2 tablespoons chopped microgreens of your choice
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons pea sprouts or microgreens, to garnish
For the Filling:
- 1 1/4 cups (5 oz/150 g) macadamia nuts
- 1 1/4 cups (5 oz/150 g) cashews
- finely grated zest of 1 lime
- 4 tablespoons lime juice
- 4 tablespoons grated horseradish
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro (coriander)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 makrut lime leaves
- 1 clove garlic, very finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Put all the ingredients for the filling into a food processor, add 4 tablespoons water, and mix until it becomes thick, smooth, and spreadable. Set aside.
- For this dish, it is best to use straight zucchini (courgettes) so that the slices will be similar in shape. Trim the ends of the zucchini, then using a mandoline or a vegetable peeler, slice them into thin strips. There should be 15–18 usable slices from each zucchini.
- Put 1 tablespoon of the filling onto the end of one of the strips, sprinkle the microgreens and chives on the top of the filling and roll up tightly. Place the roll, seam side down, on a serving plate and repeat with the rest of the zucchini strips and filling.
- Garnish with pea sprouts or microgreens.