This Spring Roll (Vegan) recipe tastes so good even without any condiments or dipping sauces. I got to say you need to spare some time to make these at home! Nothing can beat homemade fresh spring rolls with your preferred fillings. So shatteringly crunchy on the outside with tender, juicy, spiced shredded vegetables.
Vegetable Spring Roll [Vegan]
For the Vegetables:
- 9 oz Green Cabbage( 250g) Thinly sliced ( Chiffonade)
- 4 oz Carrot (100g) Peeled, Cut into matchsticks( Julienne)
- 6 oz Mung Bean Sprouts( 150g)
For the Seasonings:
- 1/2 tablespoon Light Soy Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Sesame Oil
- 1 teaspoon Minced Ginger Note1
- 1/2 teaspoon Five Spice
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground White Pepper Note2
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
Spring Roll Wrappers
- 12 pieces Vegan Spring Roll Wrappers Note3
Corn Slurry (for sealing spring rolls)
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch or potato starch
- 2 tablespoons Water
For the Dippings Sauce:
- 1/4 Cup Sweet Chili Sauce
For the Spring Roll Filling:
- To make the Filling, heat the oil in a skillet over high heat. Aad carrot matchsticks and sliced cabbage.
- Stir fry until the vegetables are softened.
- Add mung bean sprouts, followed by the seasonings( light soy sauce, sesame oil, five-spice, ground white pepper, and salt)
- Mix everything together until vegetables are well coated with seasonings. Turn off the heat, set them aside or go into a fridge to let the fillings cool down before rolling.
To Wrap Spring Rolls:
- Combine cornstarch and water in a small bowl (as glue). Carefully peel off one spring roll wrapper, and keep the others covered under a damp tea towel.
- Place the wrapper in a diamond position. Place a small handful of filling on the bottom. P.S. Don’t overfill the filling as spring rolls will burst when deep-frying
- Roll up halfway.
- Fold sides in, then finish rolling up.
- Use cornstarch slurry to seal. They should be about 12 cm / 5″ long, 2.5cm / 1″ wide once wrapped.
How to cook Vegan Spring Rolls:
- Wrapped up all the spring rolls by the steps shown above.
- Pour enough cooking oil( oil that has high smoking point) in a wok or heavy-based saucepan at least double the height of the spring rolls. Heat on medium-high until it’s hot enough( around 180°C = 356°F) P.S. If you have a deep fryer at home, even better!)
- Carefully place spring rolls in the oil (don’t over-crowded as we need spring rolls floating around in the oil) and cook, turning occasionally, until deep golden – around 1 1/2 – 2 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Repeat the cooking process with the remaining spring rolls. Serve while hot with dipping sauces and cilantro!
Note1: fresh ginger preferred!Note2: It has to be ground white pepper here, not black. Note3: spring roll wrappers are made with wheat flour. You will find both frozen and refrigerated ready for use in most supermarkets( usually in the frozen food aisle). They come in different sizes, from small squares that make mini spring rolls to the size 8″ squares that I’m using in this recipe( to make medium to large-sized spring rolls). Spring roll wrappers are usually vegan, as the typical ingredients are flour, water, and salt. Always check the ingredients on the package before buying as some manufacturers added eggs to the spring roll wrappers. Note4: You can always make a big batch and freeze them( place them on a board or plate without overlapping), once they are frozen, portion them in freezer bags or sealed containers. They will last up to three months.