French Onion Soup is normally cooked with beef broth, but it can easily be made vegan with a combination of different sauces and spices! This Vegan French Onion Soup is super close to the real thing. I prefer using croutons in my soup since I'm not a fan of soggy bread. It's also easy to make for anyone who doesn't own French Onion Soup ramekins since this doesn't require baking the bowls in the oven. This simple vegan soup can be whipped up in under an hour, making it a great option for dinner!
Simple French Onion Soup [Vegan]
For the Broth Ingredients:
- 5 large onions (yellow, white, or a blend)
- 3 large garlic cloves (not chopped)
- 4 cups (32oz) low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon of fresh or dried sage
- 1 bay leaf
- Vegan shaved parmesan cheese for topping
For the Croutons:
- 1/2 of a large loaf of crusty bread (I use French bread)
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat the oven to 350º F.
- Slice the bread into cubes. Place the bread onto a baking sheet and drizzle with oil, garlic powder, and pepper. Toss to make sure the cubes are all coated evenly.
- Bake the bread for 10-15 minutes or until browned and crispy, tossing halfway through.
- Meanwhile, heat a large sauce pot on the stove.
- Thinly slice the onions and add to the pot.
- Add 1 cup of water to the onions so they don’t stick.
- All the full garlic cloves to the pot.
- Cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the onions become translucent (about 5-10 minutes). ○ You can cook the onions longer to caramelize them, but make sure they don’t turn dark brown or black.
- Remove the garlic cloves and either discard or finely mince them and add back into the pot if you want some extra garlicky soup. Your choice!
- Add all the ingredients for the broth into the pot.
- Bring to a low boil, then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf and discard.
- Once the soup and croutons are finished, it’s time to eat! Dish up the onion soup in a bowl, then top with croutons and shaved vegan parmesan cheese.