This Vegan Curry Chickpea Mashed Potato Bowl is the perfect easy weeknight meal! Ready in no time, this flavorful dish comes with a creamy coconut + turmeric-based curry, chickpeas, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, carrots, onions, and spinach; all atop velvety vegan mozzarella and butter mashed potatoes. A killer combo, indeed!
Curry Chickpea Mashed Potato Bowl [Vegan]
For Mashed Potatoes:
- 3-4 large Russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2-3 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1/2 cup vegan mozzarella 'cheese'
- pinch of sea salt
For Curry Chickpea:
- 1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas, drained + rinsed
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 cup baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled + diced
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 (14 oz.) can vegan coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce, low-sodium
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
For the Seasonings:
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric + 1 teaspoon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper, optional
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
For Mashed Potatoes:
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add peeled + diced potatoes to the boiling water. Cook for about 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender. **See Notes for Slow Cooker + No-Boil options**.
- Once fully cooked through, drain potatoes from water and add them to a large bowl, mashing them with a stainless steel potato masher (or fork) until fully broken down. **I also find it easier to add potatoes to the bowl of an electric mixer, which does wonders!**
- Once mashed, add vegan butter, pinch of seal salt, and cheese, stirring them in until fully melted and potatoes become creamy. Set aside.
For the Curry Chickpea:
- In a large skillet over medium-hight heat, add 1 Tbsp of grapeseed oil. Add the diced onions and garlic, stirring until everything becomes translucent and fragrant, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add all the seasonings (including the turmeric) and stir until well combined, reducing the heat to medium-low.
- Add the sweet potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, and chickpeas, and cook for another minute or so, until veggies are lightly charred.
- Add coconut milk, additional turmeric (1 Tbsp), soy sauce, and vegetable stock, and stir to combine. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until veggies are cooked and sauce has thickened. **NOTE: For a kick of spice, add 1 Tbsp of red pepper flakes or 1 scotch bonnet pepper.**
- At the last 5 minute mark, add in spinach and let cook until welted. Remove everything from heat.
- To serve, add a few spoonfuls of mashed potatoes to a prepared bowl and top with vegan curry chickpea. Sprinkle with dried parsley.
- Bon Appetit!
NO-BOIL MASHED POTATOES: To cook them alternatively without boiling—place potatoes on a baking sheet (lined with parchment paper) and lightly dress them with grapeseed oil. Bake in a 400 degree Fahrenheit oven for 25-30 minutes, until tender and knife goes through each potato smoothly. Once done, remove from oven and continue recipe. SLOW COOKER MASHED POTATO OPTION: Just place the peeled + diced potatoes, veggie broth, and garlic powder (about 1 tsp; optional) into your slow cooker. Cook on high 3-4 hours or low 6-7 hours, stirring every hour or so or until tender. Then using a hand masher, mash potatoes until smooth and then stir in vegan butter and vegan mozzarella cheese. STORAGE: Leftovers can be kept in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Re-heat when ready to serve.