Using cauliflower as a substitute for rice or grain flakes in different recipes works very well, although, depending on the recipe, sometimes it will need some extra flavoring. In this porridge, I use cauliflower instead of oats or other grain flakes. To prevent the cauliflower taste from coming through, I use pandan leaves, which have this fantastic fragrance and make magic in both sweet and savory dishes. They impart a wonderful vanilla and coconut aroma with a hint of grass. Native to South India, Southeast Asia, Indonesia, and Sri Lanka, they are used to sweeten or flavor dishes in a simple way. You can find them both fresh and frozen in Asian food stores, but if you can’t get hold of them, use coconut milk as your plant-milk base and add an extra 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Recipe Text Credit: Excerpted (or Adapted) from VEGAN AT HOME © 2022 by Solla Eiríksdóttir. Reproduced by permission of Phaidon. All rights reserved.
Cauliflower Porridge with Apple, Mulberry, and Cacao Nib Topping [Vegan]
For the Bowl:
- 1 small head cauliflower (9–11 oz/250–300 g)
- 1 1/2 cups (12 fl oz/350 ml) plantbased milk of your choice, plus extra lightly frothed, to serve
- 1 pandan leaf
- 1 ripe banana (4 oz/120 g), mashed
- 1 red apple (3 1/2 oz/100 g), cored and finely grated
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of sea salt
For the Toppings:
- cacao nibs
- chopped or grated apple
- To make the cauliflower rice, cut the head of the cauliflower into florets, then place in a food processor fitted with an S-blade and pulse until it has the texture of rice. Work in batches and don’t overprocess, or it will become mushy.
- Bring 1 1/2 cups (5 3/4 oz/165 g) of cauliflower rice, the milk, and pandan leaf to a boil in a large saucepan over medium heat and cook for 4 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine, then simmer, stirring frequently, for 3–4 minutes, or until it has a porridge- like consistency.
- Remove and discard the pandan leaf, then serve the porridge in bowls, pour over the lightly frothed plantbased milk, and garnish with the toppings.