Light, crispy, and packed with herby aromas. The best ever chickpea falafel recipe. High in protein, fiber, and 100% gluten-free. These fried vegetarian falafels are often served along with hummus, tahini sauce, and pita bread. They’re also great served with Zhoug, a spicy Syrian herb sauce.
Authentic Chickpea Falafel [Vegan]
- 9 ounces Chickpeas (18 ounces after soaking)
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- .75 ounces Parsley
- .75 ounces Coriander
- .75 ounces Dill
- 2 ounces Red onion
- 3 each Garlic cloves
- 1 each Green chili (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon Coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper - ground
- 1 pinch Cayenne pepper to taste - be careful!
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- .5 each Lemon zest
- 2 teaspoon Pink salt to taste
- .75 ounces Sesame seeds (optional)
- Assemble all ingredients.
- Soak the chickpeas in plenty of water with the baking soda overnight in the fridge, or ideally 24 hours.
- Strain and rinse the chickpeas very well.
- Lightly toast the cumin seeds, coriander seeds, and black peppercorns until fragrant. Blitz in a spice grinder or mortar and pestle. (Otherwise, you can use pre-ground coriander, cumin, and black pepper)
- Add the chickpeas, washed herbs, onion, chili, garlic to blender and blend until smooth.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl and stir in the spices and salt.
- Allow this mix to rest at least an hour or ideally - overnight.
- Before cooking: Add the sesame seeds (optional), lemon zest to freshen up the mix, add baking powder for fluffiness and mix everything very well.
- Form falafel mixture into round balls or slider-shaped patties using wet hands or a falafel scoop. I usually use about 2 tablespoons of mixture per falafel. You can make them smaller or larger depending on your personal preference.
- The falafel balls will stick together loosely at first but will bind nicely once they begin to fry.
- Heat the oil in a pan or deep fat fryer to 375°F
- Deep fry the falafels in batches and cook until golden brown on the outside - approx 3 minutes.
- Drain on paper towel and serve straight away!