If you are not a fan of eggplant, these just might change your mind. Homemade garlic naan, vine-ripened tomatoes, za'atar crusted eggplant, pesto, and fresh basil make these flatbreads super simple yet amazingly good. Za'atar is a middle eastern spice that combines sumac, thyme, savory, oregano, and sesame seeds along with a bit of salt.
Za’atar Crusted Eggplant on Garlicky Naan [Vegan]
For the Garlicky Naan:
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 2/3 cup soy yogurt
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Coconut oil and vegan butter
- Olive oil
For the Eggplant and Flatbread Toppings:
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place the half rounds of eggplant on an oiled, rimmed baking sheet. Salt and season both sides with za'atar.
- Spray with olive oil and roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. With a wooden spoon, stir in the soy yogurt and garlic until flour is well moistened.
- Dust your surface with flour and turn out dough — use enough flour to keep your hands from sticking when kneading the dough. Knead until you achieve a smooth round ball.
- Using a knife or dough scraper, divide the ball of dough into four equal pieces.
- Working with one section at a time, dust a rolling pin and work surface with flour and roll your dough out into a round, turning as you roll to prevent dough from sticking. Roll to the thickness of your liking. Repeat with the three remaining sections of dough until you have four rounds.
- Heat a medium frying pan over medium-high heat. You may need to adjust the heat throughout the process to ensure the pan does not run too hot.
- Place a dot of vegan butter and coconut oil in the pan. Working quickly, swirl the butter/oil in the pan and add one round of dough. Cover with a tight fitting lid to create steam. Cook for about a minute or until the underside of the flatbread is spotted golden brown. Flip, cover, and cook the other side for about 30-45 seconds. Transfer flatbread to a plate and repeat the process for remaining flatbreads.
- Spread each naan with prepared pesto and top with roasted eggplant, tomatoes, and basil. Serve at room temperature or store in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Warm in a 170°F oven for 10 minutes prior to serving.