Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
Vasilopita is a traditional Greek New Years cake. This orange cake is delicious, moist, and an awesome brunch dish. The tart-sweetness of the orange combined with walnut flavor makes for a satisfying treat you are sure to enjoy!
Vasilopita: Traditional Greek New Years Cake [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Vasilopita: Traditional Greek New Years Cake [Vegan]
- 16-ounces self-rising flour
- 3 1/2-ounces orange juice
- 7-ounces plant-based milk
- 3-ounces sunflower oil
- 10 1/2-ounces sugar
- 2-ounces walnut, coarse
- Zest of an orange
- Vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons soda
How to Prepare Vasilopita: Traditional Greek New Years Cake [Vegan]
- In a bowl, mix the oil with milk, zest, vanilla, and sugar.
- Then, drop soda into the orange juice and stir until it froth. Combine this mixture and add the flour gradually. At the end, incorporate the nuts.
- Pour the mixture in the oiled baking dish. Cook in a preheated oven at 356°F for 45-50 minutes.
- Remove from oven and when it cools, sprinkle with powdered sugar and decorate it with the chocolate scraps. Enjoy!